2 of 3
American accents are getting more accented?
Posted: 20 September 2011 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
Mr R - 19 September 2011 03:00 AM

The UK accents have developed over many years from small towns; the US accents have developed a lot quicker.

Cali - no accent? I don’t think so. The Valley accent or the Oakland accent are both quite distinctly different to one another.

Well, this is California In General. There is the “Valley” accent, which is more affectation than anything - you don’t hear the adults speaking like that.

And I didn’t say that California had NO accent, I just said it was, linguistically, the closest to unaccented American English.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 20 September 2011 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I recall reading a work on linguistics that claimed either Aberdeen or Inverness (I forget which) had the most accent-free English in all the English-speaking world.  I’m not so sure as to the accuracy of that claim, however. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 20 September 2011 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, there’s British English, of course..

Really, once you get beyond national barriers, you have to caveat things. I’m pretty certain the Aussie contingent would agree they have a solid accent whencompared to the UK or the US, but there’s likely a noticable difference between someone from Perth and someone from Sydney…

I was rather pleased with myself that I recognized a Kiwi accent once.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 21 September 2011 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I remember reading years and years ago, that a lot of call centers were located in Nebraska because because the natives spoke the most accent free English in the U.S. and were most likely to be understood by everyone.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 21 September 2011 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

It’s funny but there have been times over the years when people have said I have a New York City accent. But I’ve never been outside Australia. This hasn’t been said to be for some years though but then again I haven’t asked people for that long either.

In Melbourne Australia we have a diverse ethnic mix so we get a lot of different accents. But I think those people who were born here do have a definite accent but I only notice the difference when I talk to people from a different part of the country if that makes sense. Like I can tell if somebody has come from the state of Queensland as opposed to being from here in Victoria. For me the Queensland accent is easy to distinguish compared to other states.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 21 September 2011 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9365
Joined  2005-01-23

I can tell a Queenslander but not really anyone else back home.

I’ve never thought I have much of an accent and since I’ve been here in Canada, I’ve been asked four times if I’m British. Odd.

Depending on how much telly I’ve been watching depends on how quickly I pick up American accents. If I’ve been watching a lot of US shows, I hardly notice it but if I haven’t I find it really noticable.

Signature 

The Middleman: (drinking milk) You know, that was some darn fine cow squirt.

Posted: 21 September 2011 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

Nettie, you do sound somewhat British, but more Australian to me.  Not quite as thick as some Aussie accents, though!  I don’t think I have one, especially compared to folks from the South.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 21 September 2011 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Acci and Robin, what is the ‘base’ from which all the other American differences in inflection or vowel rotation are determined?  I find this all a little confusing…..............because that means there has to be a set rhythm that is the ‘real’ or ‘root’ American English apparently and if there is, then all others are dialects sprung from that first base root. 

Unless, of course, this idea is that everyone is starting to sound the same?  So that would mean that the majority of people are somehow linguistically-inflected-dialected together?

In the end speech is a little bit like ‘texting’ as opposed to spelling words completely.  And I’m sure those English speaking folks from England would view every single American as accent deficient as ‘texting’ is to those who appreciate written language. 

I know that my older sister uses the term ‘pop’ when referring to soda, and I had a girlfriend who complained about having a ‘bowl’ under her arm which confused me until I realized she meant ‘boil’. 

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 September 2011 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10
hulitoons - 21 September 2011 08:51 PM

I know that my older sister uses the term ‘pop’ when referring to soda

Pop is a good northern-English term. Lancashire/Yorkshire areas and probably further north as well.

Posted: 22 September 2011 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Mr R - 22 September 2011 03:05 AM
hulitoons - 21 September 2011 08:51 PM

I know that my older sister uses the term ‘pop’ when referring to soda

Pop is a good northern-English term. Lancashire/Yorkshire areas and probably further north as well.

That makes sense since she moved directly to Wisconsin when she returned to the States and that’s been nearly 50 years ago.  Most of my family is from the far northern regions and when those of us here (Maryland) visit with them (we’ve been here as long as they’ve been north), we note very clearly that they (these are siblings) have accents (or maybe we do) and odd terminology that, while we understand them, sometimes it takes a moment to put a term into perspective.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 September 2011 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
Nettie - 21 September 2011 08:09 PM

I can tell a Queenslander but not really anyone else back home.

I’ve never thought I have much of an accent and since I’ve been here in Canada, I’ve been asked four times if I’m British. Odd.

Depending on how much telly I’ve been watching depends on how quickly I pick up American accents. If I’ve been watching a lot of US shows, I hardly notice it but if I haven’t I find it really noticable.

I work with a couple of British guys and their accent is definitely different from yours.  Honestly I had expected yours to be a bit stronger like other Aussies I’ve met but you were totally understandable.  The one Brit we have here at work is almost incomprehensible sometimes.  When he gets excited his accent thickens and most of us have no idea what he is saying.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

2 of 3