1 of 3
American accents are getting more accented?
Posted: 17 September 2011 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/09/7544176-pahking-the-cah-regional-accents-getting-stronger

Pahking the cah? Regional accents getting stronger

Although the United States is an international melting pot and the average American makes a dozen moves in a lifetime, regional accents are alive and well. In fact, regional accents are becoming stronger and more different from each other, says William Labov, a professor of linguistics at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, although it’s not entirely clear why.

One possibility, says Labov, is that these original sound differences are being exaggerated, like trains moving in opposite directions on two railroad tracks. “The other is that dialect differences have become associated with political differences, so that the Blue States/Red States division comes close to the boundary between the Northern and Midland dialects,” he explains. 

Labov says that our dialects change little after age 18 and we tend to retain the accent we grew up with. Young people first match the dialects of their parents, but then they often change to match their peers. These changes, though, are unconscious, he explains.

Linguists say there are about ten major regional accents in the US, such as New England, mid-Atlantic, Inland North, for the cities surrounding the Great Lakes, and the West, the country’s newest dialect. While some people sound more regional than others, everyone has an accent to some degree.

Some people are simply better at repressing some aspects of their local speech. The way they talk—their pronounciation of words (some “r-less” dialects on the East Coast may say “cah” rather than “car”) or choice of words (“pail” in the North versus “bucket” in the Midwest)—adds a local flavor and diversity to speech. But it can also contribute to misunderstandings and confusion (hearing the word “buses” as “bosses”).

While some people keep their regional speech styles because it’s the hallmark of who they are and a tie to their communities, certain accents may have negative stereotypes or societal prejudices associated with them, says Amee Shah, director of the Research Laboratory in Speech Acoustics & Perception at Cleveland State University in Cleveland, Ohio.

Although there’s nothing wrong with a regional accent, some people become ashamed or self-conscious of them for either personal or professional reasons and they want to tone them down.

Shah, who has training as a speech-language pathologist and has designed an assessment tool to measure the severity of accented speech, offers “accent modification therapy” to clients. Shah says a strong accent might take six to eight months to modify, a moderate one three or four months, and a light accent a month or two.

“My goal is to help a client modify an accent, not to correct or reduce it,” says Shah.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 September 2011 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Yeah, my little sister is Korean and speaks with a U.S. southern accent.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 17 September 2011 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

Accent?  What accent?  eh?

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 17 September 2011 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15027
Joined  2006-08-16
gray - 17 September 2011 07:05 PM

Accent?  What accent?  eh?

No accent, you non-American, you.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 17 September 2011 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

I moved from Missouri to Idaho, saw no real accent change.  There are people here in Missouri who have an accent, but most don’t really.  While in Idaho I asked a coworker if I had a southern accent, no I don’t, according to them.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 17 September 2011 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15027
Joined  2006-08-16
N E O - 17 September 2011 08:13 PM

I moved from Missouri to Idaho, saw no real accent change.  There are people here in Missouri who have an accent, but most don’t really.  While in Idaho I asked a coworker if I had a southern accent, no I don’t, according to them.

If I remember correctly, you have a Canadian accent.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 18 September 2011 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

You are Canadian.  raspberry

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 18 September 2011 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Meh.. I’m Californian, which is, linguistically speaking, the closest to unaccented American English there is.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 19 September 2011 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

I’m British, and you’re quite right, we don’t have *cough cough* accents.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 19 September 2011 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

See, now that’s always been baffling to me.. you have an area the size of California, give or take, and yet you have such diverse accents as Cockney, Yorkshire, Scouse, and Londoner, within that relatively small area. Head a little farther, and you have Glaswegian, which may be the same language, but nobody’s certain yet…

It’d be like if I drove to San Francisco and everyone was swapping ‘U’ for ‘I’ and congugating gerunds by making little farting noises with their lips.

(Not to be confused with what’s known as a ‘San Francisco Accent’, which is a bigot term for ‘that person is probably gay’.)

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 19 September 2011 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

The UK accents have developed over many years from small towns; the US accents have developed a lot quicker.

Cali - no accent? I don’t think so. The Valley accent or the Oakland accent are both quite distinctly different to one another.

Posted: 20 September 2011 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14
Tah - 17 September 2011 08:42 PM
N E O - 17 September 2011 08:13 PM

If I remember correctly, you have a Canadian accent.

Canadians don’t have accents.  Unless you are from the maritimes or Quebec. eh…  wink

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 3