1 of 2
The limit of my vocabulary
Posted: 16 September 2011 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

I did this test on an app in Facebook and it said I have a vocabulary of only 25,700 worlds. This is less than average for my age.

I wouldn’t feel quite so perturbed but I am cognisant of not being presented with the methodology for such a measure of my vocabulary. I am in need of a parsimonious explanation for why this is so. Could somebody reach into the vestibules of their intent and shed some illumination on why I am not adept with the English language? Until this is done I shall languish in my ruminations.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 16 September 2011 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Peter I can see you’re annoyed and are in the depths of despair over what amounts to a silly game.  Please remember that any language, not just English, is the challenge to communicate with clarity to another, not just self.  My older brother wanted to stretch his vocabulary so he pulled out the dictionary and each day added a new word that he would use over and over again in just about every sentence he could construct and throw out to the rest of us. 

He became, quite literally, a great pain in the A__ and most of the words he endeavored to harness for the sake of his own self-esteem, added little to his communication skills since everyone else had to pull out the dictionary to figure out what he was trying to say. 

So, don’t languish please…............!!!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 16 September 2011 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

My good woman, I feel I am in discourse. For not for the want of intrepid rumblings I feel I am forced to sit on the ground. I shall need to inspect this inflexion into the profile of my consciousness.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 16 September 2011 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
Peter - 16 September 2011 10:00 PM

My good woman, I feel I am in discourse. For not for the want of intrepid rumblings I feel I am forced to sit on the ground. I shall need to inspect this inflexion into the profile of my consciousness.

Hmmmm, and thus you have painted an uncomfortable, but amusing vision of tangled acrobatics.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 17 September 2011 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Hark. Tis but the wind. The aromatic textures infused in the nether reaches of the air that I inhale.

Doth has an over abundance of metallic receptacles of baked beans.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 17 September 2011 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

I am reminded of when I was a kid. I was having trouble in school, so they took me to find out what was wrong. After a few tests, the doctor came to my folks:

“Well… the good news is, he doesn’t have a learning disability.”
“No?”
“Nope. In fact.. he may read better than *I* do.”

Yeeeaah…. at the tender age of 12, I was testing as having a reading comprehension and vocabulary level of a 35-year old with a master’s degree.

I was a voracious reader, and at one point had read all the books in the school library that weren’t either ‘beginning reader’ books or reference materials for the teachers. When I was nine, I’d already begun checking books out of the ‘grown-up’ portion of the county library.

So yeah… turned out my problem was ADD. I had it before all the cool kids did.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 17 September 2011 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 17 September 2011 11:10 AM

I am reminded of when I was a kid. I was having trouble in school, so they took me to find out what was wrong. After a few tests, the doctor came to my folks:

“Well… the good news is, he doesn’t have a learning disability.”
“No?”
“Nope. In fact.. he may read better than *I* do.”

Yeeeaah…. at the tender age of 12, I was testing as having a reading comprehension and vocabulary level of a 35-year old with a master’s degree.

I was a voracious reader, and at one point had read all the books in the school library that weren’t either ‘beginning reader’ books or reference materials for the teachers. When I was nine, I’d already begun checking books out of the ‘grown-up’ portion of the county library.

So yeah… turned out my problem was ADD. I had it before all the cool kids did.

From what I pick up from that it doesn’t sound like ADD. It sounds more like some bored kid who was more advanced than the other kids of the same age. Did you ever get another opinion?

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 17 September 2011 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah, a couple. It was still ‘new’ then, but in my case, it was pretty obvious. THere were other factors too.

Don’t get me wrong: I WAS a brilliant, bored kid. But when you combine that with a kid who ALSO has ADD, you have a problem.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 17 September 2011 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 17 September 2011 11:30 AM

Yeah, a couple. It was still ‘new’ then, but in my case, it was pretty obvious. THere were other factors too.

Don’t get me wrong: I WAS a brilliant, bored kid. But when you combine that with a kid who ALSO has ADD, you have a problem.

This has got me spinning.

I assume they must have found clear reasons to say you had ADD. Did they put you in an appropriate classroom setting for your level of intelligence?

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 17 September 2011 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21
Peter - 17 September 2011 11:49 AM

I assume they must have found clear reasons to say you had ADD. Did they put you in an appropriate classroom setting for your level of intelligence?

Eeyup. I even got to play with the new Apple computers the school had got in. I had a LOT of fun with those. But when it came time to actually sit down and do coursework? Forget it. I couldn’t stay focussed to save my life. Homework? Pft. Rather read a book or build stuff outta legos. The first time they realized there was a problem was when it was time to learn fractions. That did NOT work out well.

I probably COULD have been a ‘gifted’ student, probably COULD have been a 4.0 genius, gone to MIT and be working some amazingly-awesome job now…

... but yeah. Didn’t happen.

One thing they don’t tell you about Ritalin - sure, it makes it so you can calm down and pay attention, but your other mental processes are *crap*. Remembering things like who shot who at what historic event? Forget it. Complex math? Not happening. I did well in my computer programming classes, because I could apply unique solutions, but even then..

*sigh*

Anyway… vocabulary isn’t the be-all and end-all of smarts.

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2011 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Robin, I believe my brother, was born way before you and was one of the very first put on Ritalin (which has now become common in my family).  At the time it was new (though first made in 1944), this was back in the very early 60s when it started being used in children so they were not very sure of dosage.  He was taking it at first several times a day. 

ADHD and of course autism has been so common in my family that I eventually starting praying that we would stop having children at all.  My own children have problems, and my grandchildren as well as nephews, nieces and cousins.  Their doctors are using other medications now to assist keeping hyperactivity down but still be able to focus.  Insomnia is prevalent as well in those affected by this.  Frankly, I don’t like any of this (the medications given) at all and I had the same kinds of problems you’re talking about except that I couldn’t swallow, I couldn’t enter a room without very designed movements that had to be exactly right or I had to repeat them, ticks that seemed as if I was convulsing, etc.  It took a VERY long time for me to be able to control these by overriding them. 

Almost all children with ADD and ADHD, etc. test very high on some levels of cognizant abilities (not always all) and higher than average IQs.  The inability to concentrate and STAY focused is the wafting wind that seems to cause great interference.  Believe it or not, the desire to build structures is also common (as is the use of legos LOL!!!) it used to be more simple blocks, lincoln logs and erector sets.  The building of the structures helps keep the mind focused by using eye and hand as well as individual-decided movements and ideas (as opposed to games which require static rules be followed)! 

There is also, as individuals grow older, a set design in specific opinions, or ideas developed that the individual finds almost impossible to change.

Signature 

Posted: 19 September 2011 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 17 September 2011 12:02 PM
Peter - 17 September 2011 11:49 AM

Eeyup. I even got to play with the new Apple computers the school had got in. I had a LOT of fun with those. But when it came time to actually sit down and do coursework? Forget it. I couldn’t stay focussed to save my life. Homework? Pft. Rather read a book or build stuff outta legos. The first time they realized there was a problem was when it was time to learn fractions. That did NOT work out well.

I probably COULD have been a ‘gifted’ student, probably COULD have been a 4.0 genius, gone to MIT and be working some amazingly-awesome job now…

... but yeah. Didn’t happen.

One thing they don’t tell you about Ritalin - sure, it makes it so you can calm down and pay attention, but your other mental processes are *crap*. Remembering things like who shot who at what historic event? Forget it. Complex math? Not happening. I did well in my computer programming classes, because I could apply unique solutions, but even then..

*sigh*

Anyway… vocabulary isn’t the be-all and end-all of smarts.

Robin I hope you don’t take offence about my attempt at humour with starting this thread. You strike me as an intelligent person, probably more so than some people I’ve met.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

1 of 2