1 of 1
Edinburgh’s “Greyfriars Bobby” was a scam
Posted: 05 August 2011 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

“Greyfriar’s Bobby” was a dog who supposedly kept faithful watch at his dead master’s grave in Edinburgh between 1858 and 1872.

But it was a scam to lure tourists, historian Jan Bondeson says.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 05 August 2011 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

I had read before that it was unlikely the story we knew really happened, but I wasn’t aware that it might have been a scam.  Not the first tourist trap, but one of the more famous ones I guess.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 05 August 2011 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Yeah. The Scots have a knack for that. Nessie is another case (imho) of a deliberate scam to place a village on the tourist map.

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 05 August 2011 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2006-04-12
LaMa - 05 August 2011 01:43 PM

Yeah. The Scots have a knack for that. Nessie is another case (imho) of a deliberate scam to place a village on the tourist map.

in fairness the first account was in the life of St Columba by Adomn

Posted: 05 August 2011 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

Yeah, like the Roswell tourism.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 05 August 2011 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

Roswell technically wasn’t a scam, it was a legitimate secret program coverup.  But locals know a good thing when they see it, and boy did they ever profit from it when they became a Mecca for nutters.

Nessie is pretty much the same - the locals profit from it unashamedly, but the stories weren’t originally created for that purpose.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 05 August 2011 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

Yeah, but I didn’t call the Roswell incident a scam, I was referring to the Roswell tourism business.

Can’t let the facts or the lack of evidence get in the way of making some $$$$$$....

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 06 August 2011 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
sensibleken - 05 August 2011 04:17 PM

in fairness the first account was in the life of St Columba by Adomn

Signature 

———

Posted: 06 August 2011 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
LaMa - 05 August 2011 10:48 AM

“Greyfriar’s Bobby” was a dog who supposedly kept faithful watch at his dead master’s grave in Edinburgh between 1858 and 1872.

But it was a scam to lure tourists, historian Jan Bondeson says.

Shhh!  zipper

LaMa - 06 August 2011 11:28 AM

The first “modern” sigthing at Loch Ness was right after completion of the A82 along the Loch and through Drumnadrochit, bringing tourists on their way to Inverness. This first “modern” sighting was done by (badabum badabum…!)...: a Hotel owner from Drumnadrochit. Heh, she would have no interest at all in attracting the tourists now touring to Inverness over the A82 to stay in Drumnadrochit ....  wink

But can you pronounce Drumnadrochit? wink

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

1 of 1