Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/31/do-you-speak-christian/

Do you speak Christian?

Have you told anyone

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 01 August 2011 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

*** continued from above ***

Contemporary churchgoers, though, no longer have time to take that walk, Leonard says. They consider their lives too busy for long revival services and extended altar calls. Many churches are either jettisoning or streamlining the altar call, Leonard says.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 01 August 2011 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

I think my favorite one of those is ‘Have you heard the good news?’ used by someone who’s cheerfully going to tell me about the bible…

For some reason, all the bible-pushers I’ve met who use THAT phrase are frighteningly cheerful. I don’t mean excessively cheerful, I mean frightening AND cheerful. The combination of a bright, cheerful expression with a look in the eyes that there is NO thought but God/Jesus/Bacon behind them…. it comes across as dangerously psychotic, not eager to spread the word.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 01 August 2011 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  2005-06-15

One that sticks in my mind is:

“It’s not for me to judge”

Translation: “You ***hole”

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 02 August 2011 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I was helping out at a church run (I don’t know what to call it, but it’s free dinner for anybody that wants to come in and listen to a little prayer and eat) thing, and a teenager was volunteering and she was wearing this shirt that said, ‘Friends are just people you haven’t hooked up with yet,”  I’m thinking “hooked up” means something unchurchlike, but heck, maybe I’m wrong.  I’m sure she and her mother who was there also weren’t thinking what I was thinking.

I think I’ll start volunteering there again.  I’d rather pray with hookers and addicts and homeless than most of the nitwits I who call themselves “saved”.  There was this guy about 2000 years ago hung out with the unpopular crowd and he made quite a name for himself as a pretty decent fellow.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 02 August 2011 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Bebelicious - 02 August 2011 09:27 PM

I’m thinking “hooked up” means something unchurchlike. . .

Depends on the particular church, I suppose.

Signature 

1 of 1