15 of 16
Secret Santa, anyone?  Names have been drawn!
Posted: 30 December 2011 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

A couple years ago I spent as much in shipping as was the agreed upon ‘limit’ because I was sending out-of-country. 

Some online stores can ship at lessor rates globally than we can as individuals and some offer free shipping as well with the store being responsible for delivery so I’ve started using these stores (i.e. Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk since I have accounts with both by accident).  I’ve been able to send what I think are nice gifts even though I do admit I spent a little bit more than the limit.  I was able to track everything. 

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 30 December 2011 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Well I can state with confidence that my target/giftee has received their parcel.  Amazingly it actually made it on time.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 03 January 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

My Secret Santa JUST arrived!  It’s beautiful!!! Thank you!!!  Spectacle chain jewelry!

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 03 January 2012 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Ooooh… Ahhhhh…

Very nice!

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 28 January 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Well it’s almost the end of January and I still haven’t seen anything.  I’m not sure where it got held up but it’s likely in the system somewhere.  This is the second time I’ve tried this and haven’t received anything so I think I’ll pass on the next one.  downer

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 28 January 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Awww… Sorry to hear that.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 28 January 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I think we need to know at this point who gray’s secret santa was then and maybe also the last time so we might ascertain just what has been happening.

Incidentally, among our mail we found Bebe’s magnetic calendar for this year!!!  Thank YOU!!!

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
gray - 28 January 2012 11:07 AM

Well it’s almost the end of January and I still haven’t seen anything.  I’m not sure where it got held up but it’s likely in the system somewhere.  This is the second time I’ve tried this and haven’t received anything so I think I’ll pass on the next one.  downer

What I sent to Smerk for Christmas didn’t get there until just a little while ago, while I’ve also sent stuff to Boo that never arrived.  There’s no telling what goes on with international shipping sometimes.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 28 January 2012 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

I’ve had the elves contact me earlier in the week saying they were ready to send out Nettie’s and my parcels.

Acci, you’ve also sent me stuff that’s never arrived, or has ended up returned to you over the years.

I wonder whether it’d be worth paying the extra for parcel tracking?

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 29 January 2012 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28

I just sent stuff to Nettie via Priority mail (it cost a bit extra $45US for a 3lb package) but it got there very quickly. My room mate just sent stuff to Ireland yesterday via first class mail (the other option to have tracked) and it was about half the cost $22 for a 2.5lb package). I did not use tracking and neither did she. I do know that tracking is inexpensive and worth the cost if you are concerned there are issues about the arrival of the package.

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 29 January 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

There may be other methods to assure arrival:

1.  Purchase from an online store such as Amazon, But.com etc. and have the item shipped directly from the source (typically tracking is automatically supplied)

2.  Purchase from a store located where the recipient lives

3.  Shop early before the actual holiday rush causes conflicts

When an item doesn’t reach the recipient within a prescribed period, at the VERY least it’s time to let that person know who you are, when you shipped etc. so that maybe, just maybe they can figure out what happened at their end. 

I know we have a limit of $20 but I also know that I, myself, have doubled that amount in just the purchase and shipping.  Just shipping to my own sister who lives just 4 States away cost me $19 for the same item I can ship overseas at the same cost or a couple dollars more because she lives in an extreme rural area.  That alone is the limit we’ve set. 

If I had gone to that expense (I usually spend $35-$40 each time) each time we’ve done this and didn’t receive anything either time, I too would drop out.  The only way gray can know what happened is by knowing who sent each time so he can get a better handle on which shipping systems didn’t work and maybe even why (sometimes something is sent that will not clear customs but the sender may not know what or why it didn’t if there is always a dead end of silence)

Signature 

15 of 16