1 of 1
‘Tiny Belly’ online scam
Posted: 08 July 2011 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

You’ve probably seen the ads online, touting various weight-loss nostrums like acai berries and suchall. Clicking them sends you to well-written websites of various legitimate news agencies, with plenty of glowing testimonials, and an offer for free samples.

Yeah, turns out it’s a massive scam.

Those ‘news’ sites? Pure fabrications. Deceptive advertising at best, outright forgeries in some cases. Getting those ‘free’ samples requires a credit card (which should be a HUGE red flag for any free product), and sure enough, lots of lovely little credit charges start showing up. They’ve apparently made over one billion dollars this way.

More at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/ubiquitous-tiny-belly-online-ad-part-of-scheme-government-says/2011/06/27/gIQAbI6Q1H_story_1.html

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 24 August 2011 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2011-01-01

There’s a correlation between the proliferation of these kinds of ads, and the skyrocketing amount of personal credit-card debt.  I can remember a time when it was difficult to get a personal credit card, let alone a personal loan from a bank.  One had to go to a “finance company” to get unsecured credit, and the interest rates reflected both the considerable risks taken by the lender and the desperation/gullibility of the borrower. Flash-forward to today, where flakey and unsustainable loans are packaged and re-formed into new marketable securities.  Global financial crisis, anyone?

The internet simply makes it easier to both reach the gullible (or stupid), and extract money from them.  Easy credit may have fueled an economic boom, but it contained the seeds of the economic crash within.

My 22-year-old son is a full-time college student with NO outside income - none.  He is bombarded weekly with offers of credit cards, some with limits as high as $5,000 or $10,000.  He has NO credit rating at all.  This makes absolutely no sense, unless the lenders have no intention of holding on to the balance for any reasonable length of time.

You can add to this mix the tendency of people to look for “easy” ways to get fit, or get slim, or get rich, or get happy.  Poor people (a lot of Americans) have very poor diets, and they end up consuming cheap but plentiful empty calories as a result.  They don’t have the education to see through the scams, the energy to do the hard work, or the financial caution to avoid silly purchases.  This is a disasterous combination, and I don’t see any sign of it changing soon.  We will remain up to our ears in CieAuras and LifeWaves and 5 Tricks to a Slimmer Belly for a long time to come.

Signature 

My dad always said, “be all that you can be”.

I tried it.  Succeeded.  Not terribly impressed with the results so far.

1 of 1