1 of 3
Greetings from Estonia (what happened to Alex?)
Posted: 04 July 2011 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2011-07-04

Since I didn

Posted: 04 July 2011 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28

Hi smile
Last I knew Alex was still working on finalizing a book.
He rarely if ever posts in the forum section and hasn’t updated the “blog” section in a while either. His primary “curator” went absentee for personal reasons as well… so it has been up to the rest of the mods around here to keep some semblence of order and wait patiently for Alex to return and take over the reigns once again.

I am sure Acci will be along shortly to take your coat and replace it with a badger or some other living nightmare. Please have a seat on the forum couch and enjoi a cookie. Mind the dust bunnies.. they are territorial.

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 04 July 2011 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2011-07-04

Oh, that’s alright, I’ll just drive them off with my new badger then. smile I don’t mind the cookies though.

I’m glad Alex is alright though…I hope he comes back. The dead-looking front page must be rather off-putting for potential new members.

Posted: 04 July 2011 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Welcome to the board. smile  I’m sure Alex will surprise us all one day and start popping in again.  He does show up occasionally when he has a moment.  And I think Oppie is underestimating the dust bunnies.  They are actually dust rhinos.  A larger and somewhat more aggressive species.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 04 July 2011 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Cliodna, there are a few things going on.  Alex is, as stated earlier, still working on a new book.  Some other members are now in jobs, employment that do not permit even ‘looking’ here so their visits are infrequent.  Because FaceBook has become more accessible and friendly in forming groups, many members are using that area for a lot of updates, photo sharing etc. as well as here.  So, it gets hectic. 

We’re aware that a lot of folks browse and read.  It’s gratifying when you take the next step and join.  It’s interesting that some of us have been here long enough to know other members so well that we can anticipate their comments or even who has posted what without looking!  Kind of like knowing siblings.

Welcome aboard and Please stick around!!!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 05 July 2011 03:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

Welcome to the madhouse, Cliodna. smile  Though it’s been less mad of late.  The last time I heard from Alex was when he appointed my husband Dave and myself as mods.  At that time, he was wrapping up his book and trying to get some personal things tied up as well.

As far as posting here goes, I think Huli is right—quite a few of us have been bitten by the FaceBook bug, and tend to gravitate over there.  I tend to poke in here and devour spammers throughout the day, but neglect to post most of the time.  I’ll be working to correct that, though! smile

Again, welcome, and please stick around!  Watch out for the aardvark, though.  He likes to steal cookies. wink

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 05 July 2011 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Welcome.

The blog has been on hiatus for about two years, which is a shame. Not seen a few regular names on the forum in ages either.

Posted: 05 July 2011 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Welcome, Cliodna!  I’m glad that you decided to stop lurking and join our odd community/family/thingy.

Cliodna - 04 July 2011 09:36 PM

...I consider Acci to be my role model…

Oh dear…

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 05 July 2011 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Yeah Smerk, that very frightening thought crossed my mind when I read ‘role model’ too! 

I think you’re right Mr R, it has been about 2 years.  Some solid members just disappeared and the only real postings have been on the daily chat area (which I’ve seldom used anyway).  But I don’t think it’s because Alex has been scarce.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 05 July 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

What I do find interesting and certainly centers on what I miss about our forum here is that I have so many people on my FaceBook feed page that stuff churns down and out of the buffer about as fast as Twitter feed.  Some good stuff to talk about comes and before a really good discussion can happen it’s already out the other end and some of these just get off the grid before others even see what someone started to say. 

Here a good discussion could be started and it stayed static enough to keep going and that’s what I loved.  We have some pretty intelligent folks on this forum with not just lots of ideas, but different perspectives.  I miss that; it’s why I joined and truth be told, I need that kind of friction, spark, fire.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2011 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

I agree, Huli.  I miss some of the interesting conversations that people used to have round here, too.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 06 July 2011 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
Smerk - 06 July 2011 11:41 AM

I agree, Huli.  I miss some of the interesting conversations that people used to have round here, too.

Shall we start one?

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 3