1 of 1
When religion goes to war
Posted: 27 June 2011 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

I ran across a couple of sites that are real classic cases of religion gone wonky.  It never fails to amaze me the directions in which some people’s interpretation of the bible takes them.  Although I am pretty sure that the second site is a satire.

Here’s a couple of quotes from them.

The Internet was created by the United States of America - a Christian nation [ref. 1, 2, 3] - and should not be used to spread anti-Christian, secular, or non-Christian propaganda and hatespeech. This is our Internet, and we should exercise our position as its owners and as the guardians of civilization to stop its misuse.

We Are Conservative, Godly, Republican, and Unstoppable!

We have a permanent injunction against all unsaved persons. If you are unsaved, you are not allowed within a 10-mile radius of our church, nor are you allowed on this website. Kindly leave, and be about the Devil’s business, for you are not welcome here. Glory!

If you are interested in getting saved, and you are not joking around about it just to upset us, we ask you kindly to click on this link and we’ll help you get started on processing your eternal security certification right away!

Followers of Christ Needn’t Waste Time Recycling or Worrying About the Climate
Believers know more about the fate of this planet than any hell-bound scientist. That’s because they have a personal relationship with the Fellow who invented Earth.  His name is God

Here’s links to the warring sites.
site 1
site 2

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 27 June 2011 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

I think all three are satire sites. Any votes on that?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 27 June 2011 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

All 3?  Did I miss one somewhere?    I figure the first one is perfectly serious and doesn’t realize the second one is satire.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 27 June 2011 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15
gray - 27 June 2011 07:16 AM

All 3?  Did I miss one somewhere?    I figure the first one is perfectly serious and doesn’t realize the second one is satire.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the good person who owns the Landover web site set up other web sites that pose as “serious Christian sites” that both link to the Landover site as well as “putting it down”. I think you’ll notice the Objective Ministries web site has some tell-tale advertising on it.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 27 June 2011 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

Poe’s Law, for those unfamiliar, basically states that unless you ahve a clear indicator of the author’s intent, it becomes increasingly difficult to tell a fundamentalist site from a parody site.

Having actually met people with similar mindsets to those above, I can fully believe the difficulty in distinction. Some people are just incredily angry, hateful people, despite paying lip service to religions touting love and kindness. I think my favorite one was the woman who was saying that all children of non-Catholic parents needed to be ‘aborted at birth’, because they were obviously ‘devil-tainted’ and ‘products of unlawful unions’... She saw absolutely nothing wrong with this mindset.

I think there’s a certain type of religious person, similar to the people who hoard cats or bottlecaps, where they MUST be as religious as physically possible. The idea seems to be that if they fill every aspect of their life with religion, then they are ‘good’ people, following God’s laws, no matter what their moral failings may be. A very miserable existence, if you ask me, but one free from any notion of personal responsability or blame. They feel utterly justified in their beliefs.

These people can hate with the fury of a thousand suns, comforted by the fact that because they are so devout, God will answer their prayers. That seems to be a big one with these sorts - God will strike you down because THEY want you to be struck down. Apparently if you’re devout enough, God becomes your personal servant, willing to afflict anyone they point a finger at.

I suppose there’s some good of thinking that way. If they think that God will strike down those who annoy them, then they won’t go ahead and try to strike down folks on their own.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 27 June 2011 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10
Robin Bobcat - 27 June 2011 08:14 AM

I think my favorite one was the woman who was saying that all children of non-Catholic parents needed to be ‘aborted at birth’, because they were obviously ‘devil-tainted’ and ‘products of unlawful unions’...

I read that as unlawful onions. That would be much more entertaining.

Posted: 27 June 2011 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21
Mr R - 27 June 2011 12:20 PM
Robin Bobcat - 27 June 2011 08:14 AM

I think my favorite one was the woman who was saying that all children of non-Catholic parents needed to be ‘aborted at birth’, because they were obviously ‘devil-tainted’ and ‘products of unlawful unions’...

I read that as unlawful onions. That would be much more entertaining.

And possibly more sane.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

1 of 1