Total Votes: 9
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Should I buy a second pair of shoes?
Posted: 06 June 2011 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

I’m on a low income as I’m an intern this year. Then again I’m working in a corporate environment.

I just had the experience of an emergency purchase of a new pair of shoes because my old pair suddenly got a hole in one shoe. On one hand I’m thinking I should buy a second pair so I don’t get so stressed out if something like that happens again. On the other hand I’m thinking about my low income (although I do have savings in the bank). I guess I’d feel stressed out if I buy a second pair of if I don’t. So to turn my back on the responsibility for this discussion I’ve generously set up a poll to let other people (some of whom are probably just a neurotic as me) decide for me.

cheese

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 06 June 2011 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

It’s academic now. I’ve received a recommendation from one who must be obeyed. I’ve ordered a second pair online.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 06 June 2011 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Well thank GOD!  Always have a spare Peter, of all things important.  After all, I’d like to think you would have extra underwear too!

But this is coming from a female who owns around 50 pairs of shoes….....................

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 06 June 2011 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ve been a “one pair wonder” for well over a year now. I’m talking shoes of course, underwear I buy in packs of 7 (George Costanza eat your heart out).

This online purchase of shoes marks a first for me. First time I’ve bought shoes online. Their from the same brand as the pair I bought yesterday but I’m glad they have a returns policy, just in case.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 06 June 2011 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

And by owning and alternating between two pairs of shoes, both pairs actually last MUCH longer than a each would if just worn consecutively.  (Something to do with being allowed to dry out and ‘rest’.)  So, just from a financial standoff, owning two pairs is better than owning one. wink

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 06 June 2011 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

having two pairs is always good. A ‘work’ pair and a ‘relax’ pair is always a fine thing.

I could probably stand to get some new shoes myself.. Problem being, the only decent store is across town, and my car is busted…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 06 June 2011 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
daveprime - 06 June 2011 01:33 PM

And by owning and alternating between two pairs of shoes, both pairs actually last MUCH longer than a each would if just worn consecutively.  (Something to do with being allowed to dry out and ‘rest’.)  So, just from a financial standoff, owning two pairs is better than owning one. wink

At about $130 (Australian) for each pair I hope so. My previous tried and trusty choice was a bit cheaper but they weren’t available. Then again this brand I’ve just bought seems better made, it’s a brand I’ve worn before.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 06 June 2011 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 06 June 2011 01:38 PM

having two pairs is always good. A ‘work’ pair and a ‘relax’ pair is always a fine thing.

I could probably stand to get some new shoes myself.. Problem being, the only decent store is across town, and my car is busted…

I’m sorry to hear that. Do you have a friend who can give you a lift?

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 06 June 2011 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I order nearly everything online but you do need to be familiar with the particular brand or sizing of it. 

I have paid over a $100 for shoes but usually not.  I have three pair coming from Keds that were customized by my own images in China that are to be delivered today: 

Goth Lolita kaleidoscope Panther Cat Custom Shoe

Red Goth Dragon Walking Shoe

Goose and Mother Goose Custom Shoes

I draw the designs and placement, Keds puts them together for me including color of laces, eyelets etc.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 06 June 2011 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 06 June 2011 01:58 PM

I order nearly everything online but you do need to be familiar with the particular brand or sizing of it. 

I have paid over a $100 for shoes but usually not.  I have three pair coming from Keds that were customized by my own images in China that are to be delivered today: 

Goth Lolita kaleidoscope Panther Cat Custom Shoe

Red Goth Dragon Walking Shoe

Goose and Mother Goose Custom Shoes

I draw the designs and placement, Keds puts them together for me including color of laces, eyelets etc.

They look nice.

The pair I bought on the weekend are Colorado Jasper II
The pair I just bought online are Colorado Collins. I had a reply email from Colorado saying they have the same fit as the Colorado Jasper II, just with leather that’s not as soft.

My previous tried and trusty choice was the Portland Seattle. I’ve had Rivers shoes in the past. I like the look of one or two of the Dr Martens but they seem a bit expensive for me right now. I always buy black shoes (makes my shoe polishing experience so much simpler).

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 06 June 2011 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Well made, substantial and nice looking shoes Peter.  I heartily approve!

Signature 

Posted: 09 June 2011 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

I think I a bit burned out with buying footwear this week. I’ve bought 3 pairs of footwear, i.e. 2 pairs of shoes and 1 pair of boots.

I’ve picked up my boots tonight and as I type this they’re in their own stinky heaven in my flat after I sprayed them with water repellent. After they dry I’ll put on the shoe polish cream for their first wearing tomorrow.

Then tomorrow the pair of shoes I ordered online will arrive in the post. I got a call from them today and according to the tracking thingy tomorrow’s the day. If I’m not home when they arrive, which is likely, I’ll just collect them from a certain location.

All this after wearing my first new pair of shoes that I bought last weekend. It’s not so much the money that burning me out (although it does have it’s effect), it’s the constant shoe polishing and taking pictures with my iPhone so I can make sure the laces go back on properly after their polished.

For my next trick it will be a new pair of slippers (or maybe runners). I’m almost tempted to look at yet another pair of shoes but I’ll see how I feel tomorrow.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

1 of 3