2 of 2
Training to Work From Home…
Posted: 05 June 2011 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15
daveprime - 03 June 2011 06:33 AM

As many of you already know, i am and have been, handicapped for the last decade or so. A little over 2 years ago I began a program that would allow me to train to work customer service jobs from home. (Yay interwebz!!)  Well, after all this time, I have finally recieved an email with the following message:

Thank you for your interest in continuing the application process with [Company]. In order to be eligible for our openings, you need to first complete [Company’s] Certification Training.

Certification Training will meet for 3 days and consist of 4 hours of online instructor-led training and 2 hours of homework each evening. There will be a 15 minute break during the class. This training is meant to prepare you from working from home in a call center environment. The classes are conducted online; you attend virtually via your home computer. 

This class will require:
* PC based computer with Windows 7, Vista or XP operating system
* Minimum of 1GHz CPU with 512 MB of RAM (recommended) (2 GB of RAM for Windows Vista or higher)
* High speed Internet access (Cable or DSL)
* Quiet work space environment
* Computer compatible headset (recommended) or a telephone with a headset or telephone speaker functionality.

***Note: If you will be using the telephone option, you will need unlimited long distance. The call in number is NOT toll-free.

Needless to say really, but i am a bit nervous. red face  It has been a LONG time since I have worked. (The docs repeatedly told me I should just give up on the idea, but I’m too stubborn for that...) wink

Anyhow, just wanted to let my friends here know what’s up and why I have been so quiet of late. smile

I wouldn’t recommend Windows Vista. I experienced problems with it myself when I used it for my university homework. It was unstable. Either Windows XP or Windows 7 should be OK.

Also RAM (or other kind of memory) is cheap so it doesn’t hurt to add more if you can afford it.

If you have important work related files to back up to an external drive I’d recommend one that is made to the RAID 1 specification although that is more expensive than most other external drives. I don’t have a RAID 1 drive yet so I’m just backing up files to my non RAID external drive. I don’t recommend backing up to a wireless external drive as that would not be as reliable.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

2 of 2