1 of 1
I’m hearing noises
Posted: 29 May 2011 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ve got so many devices in my home I shouldn’t be surprised I was almost “frightened” by this mystical noise I just heard. Upon inspection I think it was some alert coming from my iPhone but boy did it sound spooky.

Technology’s really great but it’s got these unexpected consequences sometimes.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 29 May 2011 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I find that if you simply repeatedly hit technology with a large hammer every time it makes a noise, it tends to become a bit less spooky.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 May 2011 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Accipiter - 29 May 2011 05:04 AM

I find that if you simply repeatedly hit technology with a large hammer every time it makes a noise, it tends to become a bit less spooky.

Yes but then my iPhone would suddenly look a lot less trendy.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 29 May 2011 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Could have been worse. You might have had a run in with one of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/

Not that I would be, in any way, familiar with such a device….

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 04 June 2011 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

It’s happened again. I was feeling angry about my neighbour playing music albeit very softly at 2am in the morning. But curiously when I put my ear to the wall the “music” was coming from the wrong direction.

So I turned off my electric heater and the “music” stopped.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 04 June 2011 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Electrical stuff does have a tinny-whiney sound if all else is quiet OR it can be a kind of high-pitched drone or buzz.  This is one of the biggest reasons I wear ear plugs at night.  However, if you are depending upon an alarm clock to wake you for work then you’ll have to get the ones that vibrate instead (they have a small device that fits under your pillow) or will turn the overhead lights on to wake you.  The kind of ear plugs I use block nearly all sound completely.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 04 June 2011 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 04 June 2011 09:26 PM

Electrical stuff does have a tinny-whiney sound if all else is quiet OR it can be a kind of high-pitched drone or buzz.  This is one of the biggest reasons I wear ear plugs at night.  However, if you are depending upon an alarm clock to wake you for work then you’ll have to get the ones that vibrate instead (they have a small device that fits under your pillow) or will turn the overhead lights on to wake you.  The kind of ear plugs I use block nearly all sound completely.

Yes. This electric heater, which I only bought last night, has a spinning fan and it was making a soft oscillating humming noise that I hadn’t heard before.  grin

I bought 2 of them for about $20 each as my old one stopped working.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 05 June 2011 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

The heater may also have been emitting ultra-sonic (below the human ear’s ability to hear) noise.  This type of sound has been linked in the past to feelings of nervousness, fear, unease, and paranoia.  And, just for kicks and giggles, it has also been tied to the experience of seeing flitting images in ones peripheral vision and the sense of beeing ‘watched’. cool grin

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 05 June 2011 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Robin Bobcat - 29 May 2011 02:44 PM

Could have been worse. You might have had a run in with one of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/

Not that I would be, in any way, familiar with such a device….

That’s rather similar to some of the harassment devices that law enforcement/counterterrorist/espionage groups use to torment evildoers.  What’s also fun is to put a small long-lasting battery-powered radio inside of somebody’s larger outlet-powered radio, and then watch them go slowly mad trying to figure out why their radio is still playing music after being turned off and unplugged.

Peter - 04 June 2011 05:19 PM

It’s happened again. I was feeling angry about my neighbour playing music albeit very softly at 2am in the morning. But curiously when I put my ear to the wall the “music” was coming from the wrong direction.

So I turned off my electric heater and the “music” stopped.

I sometimes have a hard time telling whether or not the strange noise I’m hearing from outside or wherever is a piece of machinery working or somebody listening to their radio.  Which is kind of a sad testament to the quality of modern music. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 05 June 2011 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

I’m not sure what it would be like without all the background noise around my house.  Between the aquarium burbling, the compressor on the fridge doing it’s thing and my ceiling fan the combined sound is actually rather comforting.  Sure helps me fall asleep quick at night.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 1