1 of 1
DVD Players and multi-zone setup
Posted: 17 May 2011 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

I bought a Blu Ray DVD player a few months ago here in Australia. It wasn’t sold as a multi-zone player but I did receive instructions on how to set it up to be multi-zone. I’ve heard of people who have had the same experience, i.e. having to follow instructions to set up their DVD players as multi-zone players.

Why aren’t they just sold as multi-zone players by default instead of having to go through a set of instructions? Is this some legal thing? Does this only happen in Australia or does it happen in other countries as well?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 17 May 2011 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

It is, in fact, a legal thing, though I’m not sure if it’s just Australia or not..

Basically, DVDs and by extension, Blu-Ray, have zones because the movie roducers do not want folks shipping a DVD over to a country or region before the movies officially open in theaters over there.

As for why they aren’t sold as multi-region, I’m guessing it’s so that folks don’t just turn around and sell them overseas. Sure, someone can just switch it to multi-region, but then they are committing a crime, not some anonymous person in a country that might not feel like extraditing…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 17 May 2011 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

OK. I won’t switch mine to multi-zone then.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 17 May 2011 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

It’s all to do with money.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 17 May 2011 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

I wouldn’t worry about switching it to multi-zone as long as the instructions seem reliable.  While it may be illegal depending on where you live, it’s of a legality similar to jailbroken phones - it’s an artificial limitation mostly created in order to make the companies more money by forcing you to buy another identical player for each zone you might want to watch movies from.  While the ‘release date’ timing is somewhat true, that again is an artificial limitation imposed on the industry that is in turn made almost irrelevant due to bootlegs anyway.  Which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 22 May 2011 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

I actually read something after this thread was started (I think it was on whirlpool.net.au) that the ACCC (The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission) basically ruled that locking in zones was anti competitive. This meaning that converting DVD players to multi zone is legal in Australia.

I’ll have to look it up and see if what the current details are. That post I read was a few years old so I don’t know if that situation in law is still around. It would explain why people here seem to be able to easily convert their DVD players to multi zone.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 22 May 2011 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

It might count as voiding any warranty or service contracts that the thing may currently be covered by.  I don’t know if that would matter to you.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 1