Some more on our beloved Neanderthals
Posted: 14 May 2011 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Neanderthals may have died out earlier than had been believed

and…

Did Modern Humans Actively Kill Neanderthals?

or…

Neanderthals survived 8,000 years longer than had been thought

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 14 May 2011 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

The story about late Neandertals near the Arctic circle in Russia, is contentuous. The point is, that it heavily hinges on an assumed equation of particular tool types with a particular hominin species: which in this case is not warranted.

While Neandertals did use Mousterian tools, Homo sapiens is known to have used them as well, up to 45,000 years ago and possibly later on some occasions. On the Russian plain, some 1000 km south of this near-Arctic site, there are sites which have both Mousterian type tools along with Upper Palaeolithic type tools. And there are reasons to think this is not due to later mixing of layers. The suggestion here is hence, that Homo sapiens pioniers in these northern Russian areas used a toolkit combining Mousterian tools with UP tools, the latter of a type so far only associated with H. sapiens. In some cases, they might have used a Mousterian toolkit only. Finding Mousterian tools in such a situation, hence does not rule out H. sapiens as their maker. The surprisingly young age (for Neandertals) gives additional reasons to doubt. Untill a Neandertal skull is found there, I’d say it is far from certain who made these tools - could well be H. sapiens instead of Neandertals.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 14 May 2011 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

I knew you would chime in Lama smile  to clarify it a bit more.
All those posts in the same week needed some scrutiny.

But apart from that.
I would love to know if I have some Neanderthal in my genes.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 15 May 2011 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Unfairly Balanced - 14 May 2011 05:23 PM

I knew you would chime in Lama smile  to clarify it a bit more.
All those posts in the same week needed some scrutiny.

But apart from that.
I would love to know if I have some Neanderthal in my genes.

As you are not of sub-Sharan African origin, you are bound to have Neandertal genes in you. On average, 2.5% of the genes of Eurasian people are Neandertal in origin.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

1 of 1