1 of 2
Were the ancient druids an early Masonic cult?
Posted: 06 May 2011 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-03-18

Just like the Freemasons, the druids had elaborate rituals of initiation in which ancient secrets were passed on from an

Signature 

Grand Hierophant of the Mystic Order of Noble Knowledge

Posted: 06 May 2011 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

This should probably go in Conspiracis,..

In any case, it’s probably the other way around, with the Masons mimicing the rituals of the Druids in order to give their group an air of ancient knowledge and mysticism. They looked at old descriptions of druidic rites in much the same way kids playing D&D pore over source books and said ‘Hey, this sounds cool, and will impress the new members’.

I don’t give them any legitimate ties to ancient druids any more than the Rosicrutians have ties to Egypt, $cientologits have ties to space aliens, or the WBC ties to human decency.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 06 May 2011 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Mind you, most of what is written about “Druid ritual” are 18th-19th century inventions. The “Most Ancient Order of the Druids” is a 19th century invention too.

We know very little about Keltic rites 2000 yrs ago except for (highly coloured) 2nd and 3rd hand accounts by some Roman generals and historians.

I also doubt the whole Egypt—-> Phoenicians—-> Druids line. That smacks of old fashioned 19th century “Ex Oriente Lux” theory. In fact, I am not aware the Phoenicians ever established colonies in Britain: as far as I know (but, it is not my primary period, I am a paleolithic archaeologist), there is no evidence for that.

Freemasonry and neo-Paganism basically both originate in the same time period: Rennaissance, and Romantic period (late 17th-mid 19th century). So yes, they will have borowed from each other’s symbolism, and neo-Paganism (as it is somewhat younger, 18-19th century, while Freemasonry is 17th century in origin but in its modern form 19th century as well) probably notably borowed from Freemasonry. But that has nothing to do with Prehistoric Celtic religion, it is all post-medieval invention.

UPDATE: see also what I write here….: basically, the founding father of neo-Druidism, Stukeley, was also a Freemason….

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 06 May 2011 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

Druids were so secretive that even today we don

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 06 May 2011 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Yeah, we only know the most vague and basic stuff about druids.  Which works out well for the Neo-Pagans, because it means that they’re pretty much free to make up whatever they want as parts of their “ancient traditions”.

“And then. . .ummmm. . .the next part of the ceremony involves. . .errrrr. . .involves all the women taking off all of their clothing and dancing!  Yeah!”

The Phoenicians only started to really take off and go some time around 1100 BC, after the Egyptian and Hittite empires had been knocked into decline by some mysterious event (usually linked to the elusive “Sea People”).  They eventually established lots of colonies in North Africa and Spain and that area, which did trade with the Britons—mainly for tin from Cornwall, if I recall correctly.  The Phoenician colony of Gades (now Cadiz) in Iberia was the main group involved with the tin trade, apparently, but they were very secretive about their sources.  Nobody is quite sure when they started trading with Britain.  Herodotus mentions it vaguely in Book 3 of his Histories, which makes it around the mid-4th Century BC at the latest.  But it wasn’t until about that same time that the Celts moved into Britain, which means that they wouldn’t have had much experience with the Phoenicians.

The Phoenicians didn’t have much to do with Gaul.  Gaul was in the Greek sphere of influence, and the Greeks and the Phoenicians were careful to keep out of each other’s way (except for in Sicily, where things got complicated).  The Celtic Gauls, then, were influenced more by Phocaean culture and not by Phoenician. . .which is why they’re called “Celts” in the first place, that being a Greek-derived name.

So, seeing as how Phoenician culture isn’t that influenced by Egyptian, and that Celtic culture isn’t that influenced by Phoenician, it’s not too likely that the druids were inspired by ancient Egypt.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 06 May 2011 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 06 May 2011 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

If they are going to take all their clothes off I can think of better things to do than dance.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 07 May 2011 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
gray - 07 May 2011 02:00 AM

If they are going to take all their clothes off I can think of better things to do than dance.

That all depends on the dance….. hmmm  cool grin

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 07 May 2011 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14
daveprime - 07 May 2011 12:57 PM

Horizontal bop??

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 08 May 2011 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Wow, I didn’t know that you all were druids. . .

I suppose that it is possible the Masons adopted a few of their ideas from the Romanticist version of druidism, but most of what little I do know about Masonic rites and rituals seems more based on other stuff.  Christianity, Judaism, Romanticist versions of Egypt, and just general sort of common everyday folk superstitions.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 08 May 2011 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

*does a little dance*

cheese

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 08 May 2011 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
Madmouse - 08 May 2011 11:31 PM

*does a little dance*

cheese

*...Beats Oppie to the SWOOOOONS...*  big surprise  cheese  kiss

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

1 of 2