2 of 6
Can anyone tell me why these dealers cannot or refuse to ship to .....UPDATE: It’s here!!!  And it’s bigger than I thought!!!
Posted: 03 May 2011 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

All electric mowers are like that.  Erik said that years ago his daughter ran over the cord rendering the mower useless HAHAHA! 

I started getting answers to queries including live chat on U.S. Amazon who, like Acci, suggested that there were warranty and legal issues.  I was angry that those specific detailed issues were not forthcoming.  I was given particular links to speak with Amazon UK via e-mail etc. but I have not heard from them yet.  I did hear from two Ebay sellers who supposedly ship internationally Dave but neither was willing to ship to me regardless because shipping was 3-4 times the cost of the item itself.  One seller then added the voltage at 240 but this isn’t an issue since U.S. Amazon as well as many stores including Lowes sell huge converters that handle the 240 voltage to 110. 

I have also contacted more high profile stores here asking why they do not carry these mowers but also asking why the United States and the United Kingdom cannot or are unwilling to work together to make these items more universal (actually, there are quite a few items including DVD players that are not universal either but that’s another genre). 

Today I found an electric mower I do like that is manufactured here in the U.S. or at least sold here.  It is not as light as the Flymo mower, nor as manageable, but it’s better than most and interestingly one potential buyer in Canada was dismayed that the U.S. would not sell them him/her or ship to his/her country.  This was a mower he/she wanted desperately.

So, I’m not unique and this kind of &^%@#! really needs to be addressed.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 03 May 2011 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
hulitoons - 02 May 2011 01:46 AM

This pull down shows countries where they have distributors:  http://www.flymo.com/node623.aspx which includes South Africa and Australia.  On some sales sites including Ebay UK though, it appears that Ireland and Scotland are also excluded.  Because of those exclusions I do not think a convertor issue is the barrier.  Because of omissions within the Island of Britain itself, I am completely baffled and irritated. 

Amazon UK:  Focus DIY Storefront (one company on Amazon UK that sells these)—http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/seller/shipping.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&isCBA;=&orderID;=&asin;=&seller=A2CWK75YRI5PVX&isPopup;=

Delivery is available to all UK mainland addresses. Customers living in some remote rural areas should note some delivery services are either extended by 2 days or in some instances not available at all.

We regret that we are unable to deliver to Norther Ireland, Scottish islands, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Isle of Scilly, Jersey, Guernsey and BFPO addresses.

While it’s possible that reasons listed are accurate, I still like those good and reasonable conditions displayed.

The ‘omissions within the Island of Britain’ aren’t what you think. To deliver to those places would require sending by plane or boat, which would increase the cost, since none of them are on the mainland.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 03 May 2011 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I understand Mad.  However, if the customer is willing to carry that cost, it would seem to me that customer should not be refused though. 

You live, do you not, within an ‘unrestricted’ area and so have access to this product?  I have contacted an international seller (who so far is yet not wanting to ship) with further questions which I will just paste here but it’s possible Madmouse that you might have some answers to these for me as well and so I would like to solicit those from you too: 

Since transformer boxes from 240 to 110 are accessible here for $20 that is not an issue to me. While you would ‘not’ look to selling because of the postage, would you nevertheless sell and ship this to me if I was willing to make those concessions? Or are there other problems involved?

I have actually placed this in several UK store baskets and at checkout have been flatly refused. I am baffled by any store refusing to sell to specific patrons and demanding items be removed. I have discovered the U.S. does the same here to other countries (even Canada who is just over an invisible border). I have gone beyond irritated to enraged because I seem to get little by way of specific details to such restrictions.

The truth is that the U.S. does not make a comparable product to this one. I have even contacted stores here to see why they do not work in conjunction with U.K. merchants who make these to allow (I am astonished to have to use that word ‘allow’ customers here access).

Which mailing/delivery services have access to you such as UPS, FedEx etc.? What are the differences in those shipping costs?

Forgive me for being a nuisance. You can clearly see I want this mower.
Thank you, Becky

this was in response to his reasons which were postal costs doubling and the voltage differences.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 03 May 2011 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17

LOL

I hadn’t looked at the mower you wanted until now, and it’s the exact same one we have!

I’ll do a bit of research later on, on the PC, to see if I can help you with your questions. smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 03 May 2011 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

HAHAHA!!!  So you can see why I really want this!  I was able to do a rough calculation with FedEx and the estimated cost was $127 or about 77 pounds.  That’s a lot better than my rough with UPS that came in at almost $400 to ship (I might have done something wrong)  Anyway, if you can help me out Madmouse then you know you’ll be making me HAPPY!!!

Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2011 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

Of course, MMouse could always just buy one and and drop-ship it to you. cheese
(My Father always used the phrase “Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome!  Ooooh-Rah!!”.  In other words, do what it takes to get the job done.)  If you were willing to cover the shipping plus purchase cost, I don’t see where anyone could really say much. (Unless there is some sort of shipping restriction placed by the gov’t/customs like the USA has with tech stuff to many countries…)  It would, of course, mean that you wouldn’t have access to warranty or repair from the factory, but at the prices listed, that may not be a major deal anyway. wink

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 03 May 2011 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
daveprime - 03 May 2011 03:33 PM

If you were willing to cover the shipping plus purchase cost, I don’t see where anyone could really say much. (Unless there is some sort of shipping restriction placed by the gov’t/customs like the USA has with tech stuff to many countries…)  It would, of course, mean that you wouldn’t have access to warranty or repair from the factory, but at the prices listed, that may not be a major deal anyway. wink

That’s the thing though, they (the stores I’ve tried to just simply put into the cart and checkout) will not permit me to go onward.  They will not accept any funds and in big, bright red letters tell me to remove all items from my cart (and I suspect they wish to also add:  ‘Go away!’).  Believe me I have tried!  I do think there may well be issues that no one is being forthcoming about and that in itself I find disturbing.  I also do not like being told where to buy, what to buy and from whom I may buy.

Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9103
Joined  2008-03-02

It may be a liability thing, or possibly just the hassle of shipping out of country.  Expense may be a factor, though I know you’ve said you’d be willing to pay the extra shipping (you did say that, right?  I’m not just misreading it?).

If I’m reading you right, you basically just want to know the why of why you can’t get the item you want, and if there is any possibility of getting it at all.  For instance, if it’s a liability thing, would that mower even be allowed in the country if it was shipped by a UK purchaser?  I can understand the frustration of not getting a straight answer from any sellers, though.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 03 May 2011 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

Flymo may have said they wouldn’t sell into the USA as part of a liability case or some-such. (Or US copyright/patent law, etc.)  I was talking about sending Mouse or someone the funds, and having them go and buy it (with cold, hard, untraceable cash) and then having them put it in a plain brown wrapping and shipping it to you.  the stores would have NO way of knowing where the mower was bound for. (Or try to find one of the older models, used.)  Either way, you end up with the mower, the store ends up with the cash, and hopefully customs is blind to the whole thing. (hopefully). cheese

You may never find out why they don’t sell to the USA. (Though my bet is that it either infringes on a similar idea someone once had,(patent) or it fails to meet emissions/safety/EPA standards in some way.)  The only people that would probably know why they stopped selling in the USA is the company that used to sell them here.  And the ownership of said company may have changed hands numerous time since then.

ETA: The thought just struck me that I think I remember them being sold through Montgomery Wards catalogs. If so, when the store folded its catalog sales, and then the physical stores themselves, it may have left Flymo with no real way to distribute/service their products here. (Which would be a nightmare for Flymo, especially if someone still held the rights to it, but refused to pursue their sales/distribution.)

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 03 May 2011 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17

Huli, how big is the area of grass you’d be cutting?

Signature 

Research Mod

- The Watchtower

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 03 May 2011 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

About the size of our living room…...... 12x15 or 12x20 feet.  Front and back yard are about the same.  That area is also broken up with narrow spaces which is why I wanted this because it’s small (we also have a weed eater for some of the really narrow spaces.

Signature 

2 of 6