2 of 5
dogs/pets
Posted: 29 April 2011 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9103
Joined  2008-03-02

I’m going to chime in here. smile  I’ve got a rat terrier named Tex (short for Texas Two-Step), a chinchilla named Gizmo (after the movie Gremlins), and my youngest daughter has a guinea pig named Charlotte (after the spider in Charlotte’s Web).

Huli, I love hearing stories about FuzzyButt—he sounds like quite a character! smile  And DWR, I’d like to hear more about your dog.  Love pet stories!  smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 29 April 2011 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

At the moment we have two guinea pigs, called Penelope and Delilah. They’re over four years old, so they’re really quite middle-aged!

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 29 April 2011 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9103
Joined  2008-03-02

Didn’t Heather get Charlotte around the same time you got your girls?  I can never remember if she got her when she was 7 or 8.  If it was when she was 7, that makes Charlotte nearly 6!  big surprise

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 30 April 2011 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

We got ours in January ‘08, and they were just about a year old then.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 30 April 2011 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2011-04-21

My dog is a male who answers to the name of Oscar, when we are together we play or I take him for a walk.

Signature 

Im right your wrong

Posted: 30 April 2011 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-21

Wow! Crafty Dragon you have lot’s of really nice pets, and cool names.
My dog doesn’t have alot of stories apart from walking but here is one.
Everyday we take him out the same rotuin everyday, so one day he runs out and because we were to busy to take him for a walk he walked himself then came and barked at the door to be let in.
Yeah sorry it was boring but it is the only one I know haha!

Signature 

Im right your wrong

Posted: 30 April 2011 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-21

HEY has anyone got any funny stories about there dogs?

Signature 

Im right your wrong

Posted: 30 April 2011 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15030
Joined  2006-08-16

Merged threads as there was no reason to have two threads on the same topic.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 01 May 2011 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

I’ve got a staffi by the name of Holly (unofficially named after the computer in Red Dwarf).  Nickname is Holly Terror.  She snores and has a foot fetish.  And howls most eerily in her sleep.

She also seems to have an injured leg at the moment, so is heading off to visit the vet in about half an hour.  Hopefully it’s not going to be anything serious.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 01 May 2011 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

Ouch!  I hope she’s okay.

Well, as for funny stories, we have had several dogs….  i could tell you the one about the Cocker Spaniel that chased and retrieved rocks (even off the side of a mountain) or the fact that our current dog sounds like he is auditioning for tap dancing most of the time, but I think I will tell one from my childhood instead. wink

As a young man (5th grade/12years old or so) I was a pretty solitary creature.  My family seemed to move every two or so years, and this particular move had been a bad one for me. No real friends, bullies in the neighborhood, etc.  Anyhow, I discovered the fact that one of the neighbors across the alley had a female Irish setter that had just had a litter of five or so puppies.  Every day after school, I would spend half an hour or so playing with them through the fence, until the owner caught me and invited me to actually come into the yard to spend time with them!  I was ecstatic!  (There was little fear of ‘strangers’ then…)

I spent the next six weeks racing to and from time with the puppies.  I even skipped dinner a couple of times.  During my time in the pen, I learned from the owner that the mom dog was a purebred from the Philippines.  The owner had brought her to the US when he got out of the armed forces.  Over time, the owner found homes for all but one small male puppy with a gimpy sort of leg.  I didn’t have any money, and $350 in 1978 was LOT of money. (Sodas we a quarter and $1.50 got you into the theatre with popcorn and a soda.) When I came home from school one day and saw that the puppy pen was quiet and empty I almost died inside.  I moped my way into the back yard and through the garage into the house, ready to cry but unwilling to do so.  As I entered my room, I was greeted by my gimpy little ball of fur and could have died happy right then!

The owner came by later and officially “gave” me the puppy. (Paperwork and all) extracting the promise that I would never ‘sell’ him ‘intact’. (Birth defect bad for the breed) Apparently he came from a VERY prestigious bloodline.  I was more than happy to make such a promise.  Apparently she felt that I had spent enough time with the pups to have ‘earned’ a puppy.  It made my year, and the rest of my time there was better.  I named him ‘Red’ and he and I went everywhere together.  (I even tried to get him into the grocery store as my ‘assistance animal’, but failed.)  He was a beautiful dog, if a bit on the slow side (intellectually).

One weekend we had to go out of town, and couldn’t take him with us. (In a car he would begin throwing up about 15 minutes into the drive and continue until 30 minutes after we reached our destination.)  He was shut into the garage with plenty of food and water and toys and such for the weekend.  When we returned, I opened the garage door to the most foul smelling mess imaginable.  It seems Red had discovered a 3 gallon bucket of lard on a shelf 10 or so ft off the floor and had somehow managed to climb a ladder a few feet away and jump over and knock it to the ground.  Where he proceeded to eat roughly half of it.  And then began throwing up. Over and over and over again. shut eye

I spent several days scrubbing the concrete of the garage with brushes, dish detergent and hot water trying to get the stench out.  The lard had mixed with the bile and other ick and had soaked into the pores of the concrete.  It was awful.  After that, every time it got over 75F outside, the stench from the garage would invade the house!  Incredibly pungent.

When we moved again around a year later, I found I couldn’t bring him to my new house.  downer  After crying for about 2 weeks, I was lucky enough to find a rancher with a german shepherd and 500 acres that was willing to take Red on. (He tended to need a LOT of attention and running room.)  Red seemed happy; the rancher would attach the dogs’ leads to his truck as he drove fences and broke hay bales.  They loved it. If they got tired, they would simply jump up into the bed of the truck.  I had worked with Red and he no longer limped or hobbled, so all was good.  (Though I wasn’t allowed to give them man his ‘papers’; those I returned to the kind lady that gave him to me, per my promise.)

I guess that wasn’t too funny, but it is a true story.

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 01 May 2011 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

We have a cat - a red tabby mackarel, called “Pippi”

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

2 of 5

‹‹ school      Pink Spring ››