I have a really nice springer spaneil he is so cute

Signature 

Im right your wrong

Posted: 25 April 2011 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I have a self-plucked, autistic African Gray.  In spite of all that, I think he is the most astonishingly brilliant and beautiful bird in the world.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 25 April 2011 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2011-04-21

how old is it was it easy to train

Signature 

Im right your wrong

Posted: 25 April 2011 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

He is now about 6 years old.  He was in need of rescue so much of the training that should be done on a juvenile was not apparent and at 3 years old some habits were already ingrained.  Still, FuzzyButt responds well to ‘some’ ideas though he will always travel on my shoulder looking backwards.  The original owners were a bit frightened of him when he entered puberty and hormones (just as with humans) went amuck so they were afraid to offer much in the way of ‘hand’ introduction.  FuzzyButt is therefore afraid of fingers and hands that approach in unfamiliar ways or from behind him.  While he will now step onto my hand if it is covered with a blanket, he is wary of just the hand itself except under circumstances where I simply snatch him up and away from something dangerous. 

Male birds frequently behave very differently from their female counterparts, just as girls and boys, women and men approach the same ideas or problems from different perspectives and in different ways.  FuzzyButt lives in a very enriched environment though and is never in a cage except when I take him out in his stroller or into the car to keep him safe.  He has numerous ramps all across and zigzagging the huge master bedroom, sleeps in his stroller bed with infant soothers (lights, lullibuys) at night, toddler music toys (pianos etc.) as well as learning bead mazes etc. 

He listens to music (David Garret is his favorite) and movies (all of the Ninja Turtles) all day long until he comes down with us in the evening to watch TV (likes the Daily Show and Stephen Corbert…laughs mostly at Stephen though) while sitting, climbing, eating supper and whooping on a huge jungle gym that also has a VTeck turtle that plays a number of songs when he presses certain buttons.  (Believe me, FuzzyButt can drive you nuts playing with these toys).

His routines are fairly rigid, not because I want them that way, but because they are what he demands and is most secure with.  At night he spends special time with me in the bathroom while I get ready for bed while pushing English/Spanish music buttons on a Dora the Explorer ride-on truck. 

He is a very loving little guy and I adore him too.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 27 April 2011 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-21

Wow! that sounds like a really nice bird and very lucky. He has a lot of things to do if he is board he must drive you up the wall sometimes, does he wake you up?

Signature 

Im right your wrong

Posted: 27 April 2011 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

He does at times wake me by walking across my pillow and grabbing my nose!  Other times he walks over to his LeapFrog piano and starts playing music by pushing the various buttons.

Signature 

Posted: 28 April 2011 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-21

That must be very anoying

Signature 

Im right your wrong

Posted: 28 April 2011 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

And it hurts too!  Fortunately I usually wake long before FuzzyButt who typically sleeps in his sleep condo untl 10:30 or 11 each morning.

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2011 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-21

Oh ok fuzzbutt has a very nice life, he sounds very spoiled.

Signature 

Im right your wrong

Posted: 29 April 2011 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Companion animals are supposed to be ‘spoiled’ but the better term is ‘enriched’.  They are not human children under the guidance of parents whose main purpose to their children is preparing them to enter into the world on their own.  Companion animals have been removed from their natural environments for the purpose of being a key influence in the lives of humans.  In many cases specific characteristics have been bred into and even out of companion animals to fit the needs and desires of their human compatriots. 

This active and particular breeding is seen especially in dogs whose ancestors were wolves.  Selective breeding removed combative tendencies and enhanced the genetic qualities that allowed them to more completely mirror the needs and desires of humans.  Through continued breeding for specific qualities, even the appearances changed.  Instead of a snarling, angry and aggressive stance, faces smoothed out to almost smile, eyes of innocent openness,  wagging tails etc. 

But dogs are also much more than companions now, there are hunting partners, seeing eye dogs, performers, drug sniffers, police protectors etc. 

Some species of birds have also changed through careful breeding to affect feather patterns and this is most apparent in pigeons and finches since it was these birds who were first ‘companioned’ by humans.  Other birds are only just recently in this unique venue and FuzzyButt is one of these parrot species. 

Birds more closely resemble social primates societies in behavior as well as brain size.  Their environment must be more enriching or they will not survive.  Many can go back to the wild and be happy, but those bred in captivity usually cannot and a large part of this is because we’ve removed them from climates where their natural habits exist by thousands of miles. 

But no matter what kind of animal is selected to be a companion, it is a tremendous responsibility to care for that animal, to, yes, spoil, protect and love.  If an owner is not emotionally prepared for this life time commitment, they should not elect themselves into that position.

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2011 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-21

I didn’t mean it like that.

Signature 

Im right your wrong

Posted: 29 April 2011 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
drwhorules - 29 April 2011 06:29 PM

I didn’t mean it like that.

I understand and I did not mean to sound as if I was scolding at all.  You would not have begun this thread if you did not feel the same for your beautiful pup!  Spaniels are one of the most lovable I believe of the dog breeds, though I have had them as friends too I have also had a variety of mixed dog breeds as well as great danes, chihuahuas, etc. as well as cats, pigs, ferrets, turtles, alligators, ducks, mice, hamsters…........... and a variety of birds from very large to tiny. 

Do you have a photo of your pup?  How old and what gender?  What do the two of do together?

Signature 

1 of 5

‹‹ school      Pink Spring ››