1 of 1
Be Amazed: World Record Rube Goldberg Machine 2011
Posted: 21 April 2011 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

The 2011 Purdue University Rube Goldberg machine shattered the world record for most steps ever successfully completed by such a machine. In 244 steps the “Time Machine” traces the history of the world from Big Bang to the Apocalypse before accomplishing the assigned everyday task of watering a flower.

A Must See

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 21 April 2011 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15033
Joined  2006-08-16

Very nice. Though I’m not sure how they count the 244. It didn’t seem nearly that many things were shown.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 21 April 2011 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

I counted about 25 steps. I may have miscounted, but I’m probably close.

Definitely not 244.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 22 April 2011 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

yeah.. I’m not impressed. Too much reliance upon motors and electronics for my tastes. There can be bells and whistles and lights, but the primary motions should be purely kinetic.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 22 April 2011 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

Ok. For those who were a bit dissapointed…

OK GO!

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 22 April 2011 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I agree with the comments ON the YouTube site itself.  There really is no way to know for sure whether close-up ‘reactions’ shots were the result of the machine’s cause/effect OR whether it was careful shooting by the videographer that makes it ‘seem’ as if the machine managed the cause/effect steps on its own.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 April 2011 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Sharruma - 22 April 2011 02:22 AM

I counted about 25 steps. I may have miscounted, but I’m probably close.

Definitely not 244.

I’m thinking that the other steps are the ones that happened behind the scenes; they show a lot of things being triggered, but don’t show the process that triggers them.  Such as when the fan turns on and blows the ship down the slipway. . .they never seem to show what starts up the fan.

And it’s strange, but I seem to recall that there might have been one or two minor events between the Medieval period and the Second World War.  Plus, they used the wrong sort of camel for the Egyptian scene.  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 April 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8456
Joined  2006-02-28
Unfairly Balanced - 22 April 2011 10:44 AM

Ok. For those who were a bit dissapointed…

OK GO!

Nice!
Thanks!

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 22 April 2011 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

A number of years ago I and two friends of mine ended up signing up for an engineering competition.  The task we signed up for was to construct a Rube Goldberg machine of a specified size (it was something like two cubic meters) that would, in a set number of steps, end up picking up a raw egg and placing it into a cup without breaking the egg.  Oh, and no motors were allowed.  I forget what was supposed to start it off; that, to, was specified, but everything in between the start and the finish was up to the teams building the things.  I had a lot of fun putting together that contraption.  Sadly, when we got it to the event, we discovered that they’d given us the requirements for the previous year’s event, and our machine didn’t meet the latest year’s size requirements.  So it was automatically disqualified and we never got to show it off.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 1