2 of 2
Apple is watching you and it won
Posted: 22 April 2011 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15
Smerk - 22 April 2011 07:58 AM

Well, it’s a discontinued model, but it’s not that old.  And I’ve been using it longer than the iPod I had before it.  I put up with that for barely a year before I got the Sony.

It looks a nice model. It must be handy to have. I guess I fall into the trap of thinking about the old style Sony Walkmans when somebody mentions them.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 22 April 2011 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Ok, ok… Enough snarking about which computer is better. Remember folks, there are three things that will cause arguments on the internet: Religion, Politics, and Operating Systems. The fact that this is happening on an Apple product doesn’t mean that it is a failing of iOS in general - it could have just as easily popped up on Androids or Blackberries.

That being said, they do have some ‘splainin’ to do. It’s probably a feature they thought was a good idea at the time, coded for, then changed, and forgot about after two or three revisions removed the need for it. Programming works that way sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnJDaqT3-0

Just sayin’...

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 22 April 2011 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Find Stored iPhone Location Data on your Computer

+

Why and How Apple Is Collecting Your iPhone Location Data

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 22 April 2011 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Tah - 22 April 2011 06:05 AM

So, yeah. Don’t really care. Think a stink it being raised over a revelation that isn’t really all that much of a revelation.

I think that the fuss is not so much the fact that it is tracking you, but that it has been storing the information on it while Apple neither told people that it was doing so or why it is being done.

Robin Bobcat - 22 April 2011 08:26 AM

Remember folks, there are three things that will cause arguments on the internet: Religion, Politics, and Operating Systems.

Have I mentioned the new Republican Rastafarian Windows OS I got for my computer?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 April 2011 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16
Accipiter - 22 April 2011 10:17 PM

I think that the fuss is not so much the fact that it is tracking you, but that it has been storing the information on it while Apple neither told people that it was doing so or why it is being done.

Taken into account and still don’t care that much. I knew going in my smart phone (not an iPhone, but of the same ilk) tracked where I was. Maybe not in this way, but I still knew it. That’s part of what makes it “smart”. And a big part of many applications I utilize. The biggest thing that upsets me about it is that the information is stored unencrypted. But even that is easily fixable, as noted in stories I’ve read about this.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 22 April 2011 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Tah - 23 April 2011 01:24 AM
Accipiter - 22 April 2011 10:17 PM

Taken into account and still don’t care that much. I knew going in my smart phone (not an iPhone, but of the same ilk) tracked where I was. Maybe not in this way, but I still knew it. That’s part of what makes it “smart”. And a big part of many applications I utilize. The biggest thing that upsets me about it is that the information is stored unencrypted. But even that is easily fixable, as noted in stories I’ve read about this.

Right! All of us with smart phones. You can volunteer to get fixed. Start the queue behind Tah.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 23 April 2011 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
Peter - 23 April 2011 01:27 AM

Right! All of us with smart phones. You can volunteer to get fixed. Start the queue behind Tah.

I already am fixed, Peter, so that makes you head of the line and the queue goes behind you.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 23 April 2011 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Tah - 23 April 2011 05:39 AM
Peter - 23 April 2011 01:27 AM

I already am fixed, Peter, so that makes you head of the line and the queue goes behind you.

shut eye

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 28 April 2011 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

The Whole Scandal According To South Park

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 28 April 2011 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
Unfairly Balanced - 28 April 2011 05:26 PM

The Whole Scandal According To South Park

Not really. The whole “tracking and know where you are” thing was a very small part of the episode. It was more of a dig at Apple in general and the fact that people (probably) don’t bother reading the EULA on items and just click “Accept” blindly. Of course, that whole thing was done in Dilbert several years back when Dilbert had to be Bill Gates’ towel boy. South Park was, of course, a bit more crude.

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2011 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2011-05-17

Thanks for the info.  Jesse Ventura, when asked what he wants put on his tombstone remarked, ” He never owned a cell phone”.

2 of 2