3 of 4
Siberian alien
Posted: 08 June 2011 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2011-06-01
daveprime - 05 June 2011 04:50 AM

The second pic looks like the original figure, only ‘washed out’ by flash and/or a lousy camera.  The first pic was taken with a pretty high (8-10) mega-pixel camera.  The second pic looks more like a 2-4 megapixel.  The snow in the background would have made taking the original picture possible without a flash.  (Personal experience) The second pic was probably taken inside of a dimmer residence or building, thereby requiring a flash. (Or producing a VERY dark and indistinct photo without it.)

Do I have your pemission to use this on my site ?

Posted: 08 June 2011 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-01
LaMa - 07 June 2011 08:29 AM

With respect to the colour difference between the video and still image in the box:

As any photographer can tell you, colour management is one of the trickiest parts of photography (one of the reasons why professional studio photographers use greycards etc.).

Can I quote your response on my site ?

Posted: 08 June 2011 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21
JimmyDanton - 09 June 2011 01:46 AM
daveprime - 05 June 2011 04:50 AM

The second pic looks like the original figure, only ‘washed out’ by flash and/or a lousy camera.  The first pic was taken with a pretty high (8-10) mega-pixel camera.  The second pic looks more like a 2-4 megapixel.  The snow in the background would have made taking the original picture possible without a flash.  (Personal experience) The second pic was probably taken inside of a dimmer residence or building, thereby requiring a flash. (Or producing a VERY dark and indistinct photo without it.)

Certainly! cheese

(I visited your site, as i mentioned earlier, and it looks pretty good to me so far.)

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 11 June 2011 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-01
JimmyDanton - 09 June 2011 01:46 AM

daveprime - 09 June 2011 01:59 AM

Certainly! cheese

(I visited your site, as i mentioned earlier, and it looks pretty good to me so far.)

The jockey is ok, he just got a bad horse.

While updating my site I found something interesting that had escaped me.

The april 19th Pravda article that names Timur Hill and Kirill Vlasov as the jokers also includes this from the press service of the MVD
” ...the local police identified a young man in the movie and came to visit him.”  We know that man to be A.F. Hilal.  So if they already had him, why name two other guys first ?

Posted: 11 June 2011 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-01
JimmyDanton - 09 June 2011 01:47 AM

With respect to the colour difference between the video and still image in the box:

As any photographer can tell you, colour management is one of the trickiest parts of photography (one of the reasons why professional studio photographers use greycards etc.).

I’m using a portion of your response on my site.  If you have any objections, just let me know.

Posted: 15 June 2011 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
JimmyDanton - 09 June 2011 01:47 AM

Can I quote your response on my site ?

Yup.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 15 June 2011 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-01

If you will indulge me some more, I don’t mean to sound catholic about this, and tell me what I did wrong.
- I reduced a still on the left (a) to match the size of the pic on the right (b). I used a yellow line going from the navel to the dark spot above it for comparison.
- I rotated the left leg from (b) to match the angle on (a).
- I drew a red line on (a) from the navel to the blue mark and copied it on (b)
Does chicken skin contracts when its frozen ?

I wouldn’t be coming for more if I didn’t enjoy the fine minds that dwells here,

Posted: 15 June 2011 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-01

Or maybe I should take this to a poultry forum, if there is such a thing.

Actually, there’s a trove of poultry forums.  What a fantastic invention the internet.

Posted: 15 June 2011 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
JimmyDanton - 16 June 2011 12:55 AM

Or maybe I should take this to a poultry forum, if there is such a thing.

Actually, there’s a trove of poultry forums.  What a fantastic invention the internet.

I think (store bought) chicken or any skin for that matter, dehydrates after death unless you submerse in a water/saline solution and then all the cells fill with water and plump up.

And know poultry farm “terminology” before you go there. You never know what those folks are into.  wink

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 16 June 2011 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
JimmyDanton - 16 June 2011 12:41 AM

If you will indulge me some more, I don’t mean to sound catholic about this, and tell me what I did wrong.
- I reduced a still on the left (a) to match the size of the pic on the right (b). I used a yellow line going from the navel to the dark spot above it for comparison.
- I rotated the left leg from (b) to match the angle on (a).
- I drew a red line on (a) from the navel to the blue mark and copied it on (b)
Does chicken skin contracts when its frozen ?

You can’t really depend on measurements of marks on the skin.  Whether or not the marks are present, sure, but not the precise spacing of the marks.  Skin is just too plastic and variable.  Very minor changes in the positioning of a limb, or humidity, or excessive stretching, or all sorts of other things can distort the skin all over the place.  Try measuring the distances and relative positions of small marks on your face when you smile, then when you frown.  You’re going to get different measurements.  That doesn’t mean that you had your face taken off and replaced when you weren’t watching (hopefully).

What you need to look at instead is the underlying support structure.  Bones, cartilage, wires, whatever.  Those tend to be a lot more resistant to casual variation.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 16 June 2011 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-01
daveprime - 09 June 2011 01:59 AM

(I visited your site, as i mentioned earlier,

Well, I’ve extracted just about every last morsel of marrow I could find in the videos, pictures and articles.
Whatever it was (it was probably a hoax), it remains an odd story.

I’ve revamped the site.  Please go have a look. cheese

3 of 4