3 of 5
Poll
Will mankind ever set foot on Mars... if so, when?
By 2020 2
By 2025 1
By 2030 2
By 2040 2
By 2050 2
Never 4
Total Votes: 13
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Mars… in honor of the approaching “close approach.”
Posted: 24 August 2005 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

Thanks for the compliment, anyhoo.  I like to think I’m smarter than the average bear.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 24 August 2005 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

how long is an eon?

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 24 August 2005 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

An eon is an indeterminate, very long span of time.  Kind of like saying “it took ages” only much, much longer.  Think millions or hundreds of millions of years.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 24 August 2005 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-11

okay, learn a new thing every day and all that! you all learned that thunderstruck now knows what an eon is! :p (i hope you also learn something beneficial, like how to cook toast or something… smile )

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2005 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22
thunderstruck - 24 August 2005 07:41 PM

how long is an eon?

What? is your internet broke?

Posted: 25 August 2005 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22
Charybdis - 24 August 2005 04:05 PM

That’s right, if we dumped the space program we could invade Iran tomorrow and have money left over to poke a stick at North Korea.  Simply return all your pagers, cell phones, landline phones, internet service, satellite radios, television, and any other service requiring satellites.  After all, without a space program we wouldn’t have satellite communications. raspberry

Let’s also not forget Chary that without the space program invading Iran tomorrow would be more like a WWII type operation as opposed to a Desert Storm type operation. This invasion of Iran and stick-poking of N. Korea would be an entirely different type of engagement without aid from the space program and all that it’s begotten.

wink

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

Posted: 25 August 2005 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-11

buba, my internets not broke but this pc is really slow when i open new sites. cant wait to use my pc again!

Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2005 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

That’s right, if we dumped the space program we could invade Iran tomorrow and have money left over to poke a stick at North Korea.

I don’t understand what this has to do with what *I* said.  I was merely talking about starvation, housing shortages, population booms, healthcare problems.

Simply return all your pagers, cell phones, landline phones, internet service, satellite radios, television, and any other service requiring satellites.  After all, without a space program we wouldn’t have satellite communications. raspberry

Actually, satellite would only be needed for long distance landline calls.  Other wise, calling locally, to someone hooked up with the same company, will create a loop from your phone to the the other person you’ve called.  If it’s a long-distance call, then your voice is digitized and combined with millions of other voices on the long-distance network. Your voice normally travels over a fiber-optic line to the office of the receiving party, but it may also be transmitted by satellite or by microwave towers.

See, only in one instance is a satellite used instead of microwaves or fiber optics.

And as for the rest of the stuff - I don’t have a pager, cell, home internet service, or satellite radio.  Not all stations to television need a satellite.  People were watching television before there were satellites.  My job has internet to connect everyone, but it was done at one time WITHOUT the use of internet, and could be done again. :p

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 25 August 2005 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

I vote we take money away from the army and from the rich before we take it away from NASA.  If the rich were taxed as much today as they were in the 70’s, America wouldn’t have a national deficit.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 27 August 2005 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2005-08-02

i hate democrazy!! communism is much better.

Posted: 28 August 2005 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
Citizen Premier - 25 August 2005 11:47 PM

I vote we take money away from the army and from the rich before we take it away from NASA.  If the rich were taxed as much today as they were in the 70’s, America wouldn’t have a national deficit.

Well, maybe by army you mean military…b/c just taking it from the Army wouldn’t help that much.  And maybe instead, we should put less money into the DOD, b/c the military personnel themselves make very little money.  Sure, if you’re an officer you make a little more - but the majority of our volunteer military is enlisted men.  I also think that more taxes on the rich are a good idea.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

3 of 5