1 of 1
“DR(AM)” or “Doctor of Alternative Medicine” licensure… scam?
Posted: 09 February 2011 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

NOT a medical suffix, but rather a business suffix.  Pretty shady, in my opinion.

I ran across this issue whilst doing a comprehensive on Homeopathy and such as regards the legal battles that have gone in in the UK over the past decade or so. (Fun Topic!)  Apparently a “doctor” Joseph Obi has succeeded in trademarking the title of “DR(AM)” and is now offering it to ‘alternative’ caregivers…. for a price (of course).  Googling around, there is very little info on J. Obi that he himself did not put on the web.  And then I ran across a wonderful blogpost on “Respectful Insolence”
here.  That of course links back to all sorts of fun facts!

Has anyone else seen someone using “DR(AM)” in a business/medical setting, or have even those peddlers of the worst woo seen through it for the scam it is?

“Licensing board” : http://www.medlc.org/

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 09 February 2011 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

On the plus side, it’s very nice of the quacks and hucksters to conveniently label themselves. It will come in handy when it is time to line them all up against the wall…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 09 February 2011 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2892
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 09 February 2011 01:04 PM

On the plus side, it’s very nice of the quacks and hucksters to conveniently label themselves. It will come in handy when it is time to line them all up against the wall…

Is that when we get to slap them in the face with a sardine?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 09 February 2011 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21

Even more fun from “Doc Joe” Obi!!  Abolish The GMC Blog!

there you can find the (difficult to navigate or read) rants by this fine fellow (Halfway down the page in the middle are the blog posts - the stuff on each side are typically ads for his ‘service’.)  basically he wants to replace the GMC in the UK with his new Medical Licensing Center!  Got to give the guy credit for big dreams.  Of course, only ten or so people have taken him up on his offer of accreditation by his imaginary “Online only” university. (And those only for the “supporters” rights at roughly $500.  Full medical registration’ costs $9999 Pounds Sterling!) gulp  Like I said, the guy dreams big. smirk

At first i thought he was offering the chance for small dealers in ‘alternatives’ to medicine, but apparently he has much grander plans. Oh! Be sure to filter out all of his libelous, vile screeds directed at current members of the GMC. (They might have something to do with him having been struck off several years ago for gross negligence including calling a surgeon a liar, failing to treat patients, and giving out dating service phone numbers to clients.) shut eye

Enjoy the Wonderful World of Woo!! surprised  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2011 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Oh, he sounds like a winner, all right…

He seems to be that special sort of quack who actually believes that they’re a valuable member of the medical community, unfairly persecuted and put upon by ‘Big Pharma’. He seems to have decided that since the system is ‘flawed and corrupt’, that the only way he can win is if HE is the one calling the shots.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 09 February 2011 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21

You’re right, Robin.  And it just keeps getting better and BETTER!  In the linked blog, he makes third person, royal sounding decrees regarding most anything one might find on the front page of a national newspaper. gulp

I think he may truly believe that somebody “out there” is actually listening! big surprise

*...Puts on Nutter Boots and Gloves…* blank stare
I’d better start being more careful with this guy. hmmm

Signature 

1 of 1

‹‹ Shaving Helmet      Black is White ››