1 of 1
An actor read a lecture in place of a scientist
Posted: 31 January 2011 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-01-31

and answered questions. Nobody noticed anything wrong.

More details (including the VIDEO of the lecture) here:

http://ecclesiastes911.net/doctor_fox.html

Posted: 02 February 2011 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

From the website text:

My own interest in such phenomena started with the discovery that 80% of scientific citations are not read by the citing authors but copied from the lists of references used in other papers

I question this. I am a scientist myself and I NEVER quote papers I have not read.

I do know however, that when compiling your reference list for final submission (always the last chore to do), it is sometimes easier to quickly Google for the volume and page numbers or lift them from review papers than to check the actual papers again individually. That does not mean however that the papers in question were not actually read earlier in the process of conducting the research and writing the paper. It does explain how misprints get perpetuated in reference lists.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 02 February 2011 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
LaMa - 02 February 2011 03:06 PM

From the website text:

My own interest in such phenomena started with the discovery that 80% of scientific citations are not read by the citing authors but copied from the lists of references used in other papers

I question this. I am a scientist myself and I NEVER quote papers I have not read.

I do know however, that when compiling your reference list for final submission (always the last chore to do), it is sometimes easier to quickly Google for the volume and page numbers or lift them from review papers than to check the actual papers again individually. That does not mean however that the papers in question were not actually read earlier in the process of conducting the research and writing the paper. It does explain how misprints get perpetuated in reference lists.

Perhaps they’re including folks such as “Doctor” Nancy Malik here?  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 02 February 2011 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-01-31
LaMa - 02 February 2011 03:06 PM

I am a scientist myself and I NEVER quote papers I have not read.

Many psychological tests have the socalled lie-scale. A small but sufficient number of questions that admit only one true answer, such as

1 of 1