1 of 1
Graphology
Posted: 13 December 2010 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Recently, I’ve been looking at the “art” of graphology.  That is, looking at a sample of somebody’s handwriting and using that to deduce all sorts of secrets of the person’s personality.  Note that this is significantly different from forensic or questioned document examination (QDE).  With QDE, a consultant might be expected to determine if a certain person did write a certain document, or if a document could be from a certain time or place.  A graphologist, on the other hand, would be expected to tell if the person who wrote a certain document has an outgoing personality, if he is a team player, if he’s secretly a sadist, and so on. . .all from the person’s writing technique, not from the contents of the writing itself.  If a hundred different people each wrote their own copy of T.S. Eliot’s The Hollow Men, then even though the contents of the documents are all the same, a graphologist is supposed to be able to look at how they space their letters and cross their t’s and dot their i’s and determine all sorts of hidden details of each person’s personality, such as are they the type of person to have an affair or to be loyal.

Here is the BBC looking into graphology practice in Britain a few years ago.  And here is an example of a graphology service’s webpage.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 December 2010 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16

Ah, yes. There was an article about this years ago in one of those magazines they have in the Sunday paper. They offered a free reading and offered a paragraph for you to copy. They wanted you to do it three times, or something. Once in the morning, once in the middle of the day and once before you went to bed. They would then analyze the samples you sent in and send you back the reading. There would be a wait, of course, as they would have many samples to go through and analyze from the vast numbers of people submitting for the free sample.

I laughed at it and called it a horoscope based on ink instead of on the stars. And, no, I didn’t submit for a free sample analysis.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 December 2010 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

I think that the $cientologits also use a similar ‘What your signature says about you!’ system.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 14 December 2010 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

How funny! i was just reading about this stuff yesterday! (From a Cracked article!) LOL

It is hard to believe that this is so big in Japan and that the Japanese seem to believe in this stuff en masse! rolleyes

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 14 December 2010 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Surely all it shows is how well you have been taught to write! How does it tranfer between language scripts as well such as Korean, Arabic, Japanese, hieroglyph?

1 of 1