1 of 2
Spanish woman claims ownership Sun, charges for use….
Posted: 28 November 2010 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Source

After billions of years the Sun finally has an owner—a woman from Spain’s soggy region of Galicia says she’s registered the star at a local notary public as being her property.

Angeles Duran, 49, told the online edition of daily El Mundo on Friday she took the step in September after reading about an American man who had registered himself as the owner of the moon and most planets in our Solar System.

There is an international agreement which states that no country may claim ownership of a planet or star, but it says nothing about individuals, she added.

“There was no snag, I backed my claim legally, I am not stupid, I know the law. I did it but anyone else could have done it, it simply occurred to me first.”

[...]

Duran, who lives in the town of Salvaterra do Mino, said she now wants to slap a fee on everyone who uses the Sun and give half of the proceeds to the Spanish government and 20 per cent to the nation’s pension fund.

She would dedicate another 10 per cent to research, another 10 per cent to ending world hunger—and would keep the remaining 10 per cent herself.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 28 November 2010 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, one of the common requirements for gaining ownership of something is to work on and improve the property.  So once she builds a house on the sun or fixes its fuel problems, then I’ll perhaps acknowledge her claim.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 28 November 2010 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

You also need to be able to travel to your property to claim your stake and defend it against transgressions.  This isn’t a small, privately owned section of a larger sovereign nation that will go ahead defend it for you because it’s in their best interest - she’s responsible for keeping us from using it.  At the very least she needs to be able to fence it off before I’ll give her claim any credence.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 28 November 2010 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

I say let her keep her claim…. and then sue her for allowing her property to infringe on, damage (sunburn) and kill (drought) millions of people per year!  When she gets done paying out of pocket for all of the damages, then we’ll talk about her getting paid for its “use’. wink

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 28 November 2010 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

Geez I bet the fire insurance for the Sun is a b**ch.  I bet all her profit is gonna go to the insurance company.

Then how’s she gonna pay for all the people sueing her for their sunburn, heatstoke, melanoma etc ?

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 28 November 2010 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

So can I sue her for invasion of privacy for allowing the sun to shine on my yard when I’m trying to sleep after a long night shift?

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 28 November 2010 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

“I’m sorry.. it seems your property has caught fire. Since the fire is too big to extinguish, we’re going to let it burn out on its own. You *did* have it insured, right?”

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 28 November 2010 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15

I think this woman seriously needs help. We need to recognise her need. We should start by putting our collective hat around for donations to help this poor woman. Only when there is enough money donated can we…......

......stick her in a rocket and shove her a## off to the Sun.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 29 November 2010 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Like others above all I could think was:  has she any idea the liability cost of this ownership? 

And as far as ‘ownership’ goes, has anyone ever claimed ownership of the Earth’s center yet?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 29 November 2010 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 29 November 2010 11:50 AM

Like others above all I could think was:  has she any idea the liability cost of this ownership? 

And as far as ‘ownership’ goes, has anyone ever claimed ownership of the Earth’s center yet?

If somebody does claim ownership of the center of the Earth we can help them visit it by making an extra long pole and using it to poke them into the ground.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 29 November 2010 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

I think that the various national borders go ‘all the way down’, with the understanding that if some tinpot dictator wants to go and claim it as theirs then they are damn well invited to go and plant a flag.

Better would be claiming chunks of seabed.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 29 November 2010 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

I wonder if this woman is related to the one in Russia; the astrologer who’s sueing NASA for impacting a probe on a comet & messing up her business.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

1 of 2