Cookies and reporters don’t mix
Posted: 26 November 2010 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11/26/3076929.htm?site=news

Cookie crumbles for Australian health bureaucrat

An incident involving a cookie has caused a top Australian health bureaucrat to lose his job fixing the Alberta Health System in Canada.

Stephen Duckett was hired last year to reduce Alberta’s long hospital waiting lists, but when he was doorstopped by journalists a few days ago he did not want to talk about the problem.

“Isn’t it ridiculous that the media are not prepared to go to the media scrum, and I’m eating my cookie,” he said.

When one journalist said: “I think people are interested in hearing from you sir”, Dr Duckett replied: “I’m interested in eating my cookie”.

Footage of the encounter in which Dr Ducket repeatedly uses the cookie reply has gone viral on the internet.

He apologised the next day, but the Alberta Heath Services Board has since announced his departure, saying there was mutual agreement it was time for him to move on.

Dr Duckett was previously in charge of fixing Queensland’s health system and has been secretary of the Australian Health Department.

And the video of the incident; I’m figuring that the whole “cookie incident” doesn’t really have much of anything to do with his leaving, unless he’s just tired of being pestered by rude reporters.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 26 November 2010 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah.. Honestly? That equates out to a ‘no comment’ in my book, with the implied ‘You’re wasting my time’.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 26 November 2010 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

I suspect the cookie comment was the last straw.  The health care organization in the province is riddled with bureaucratic infighting over the best way to fix the system.  The government, the health board and the health care workers don’t really see eye to eye on a lot of things and I’m guessing this guy wasn’t able to make anything happen or come up with a solution that all sides could work with.  The health board in the province has made some really questionable decisions over the last few years and personally I think they all need to be replaced.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 27 November 2010 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

True… There’s got to be more to it than just ‘I would *like* some time alone, *thank you*..’

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

1 of 1