Poll
What do you Think???
This is a great Idea!!!! 0
What in the (Bleep) are they thinking???? 6
It might work........... 1
Sounds like a new "Hunting Season", yeah!!!!! 1
Total Votes: 8
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Lions and elephants on the Great Plains?
Posted: 24 August 2005 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

BAD IDEA. Why take animals out of their natural habit and introduce them into foreign climes? Everytime this has happened (by accident or by device) it has ballsed up the environment. Any Aussies out there? Two Words CANE TOADS. Us Brits never get to see our wonderful native Squirrels anymore cause our countryside is festooned with pesky American, Grey Squizzels instead.
Rats ruined the habitats aroung Polynesia and New Zealand, and the domestic dog put paid to species such as the Tazmanian Devil and Tazmanian Wolf. The list goes on…................

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 24 August 2005 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

You’re quite correct about the cane toad.  And we have serious problems with rabbits, too.  Domestic dogs have no bearing on the extinction of the Thylacine, or decline of the Tassie Devil population.  Both were hunted by humans as they preyed on sheep and poultry.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 24 August 2005 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-19

So i thought originally, but apparently they came into direct competition with wild dogs. Because the Tylacine was quite timid, and solitary, it couldn’t compete with packs of wild dogs, and had to retreat further and further inot the interior. Admittadly this wasn’t the best example to give, because it was mostly down to us!

Did you know that we have a population of over 100,000 Himalayan Paraqueets in London now? Came over at turn of the century and have settled well!

Actually your point makes quite a lot of sense. Europeans are the worst species to be distrabuted around the world. Look at History: Early settlers in Aus and Polynesia plndered the locals, did away with the natives and killed most indiginous species. Early settlers in the Americas? Dicked the Incas (although they committed mass-suicide), dicked the native Americans, oh and hunted the Bison to near-extinctions. CLASSY!

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 24 August 2005 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

“I wonder how many calves or lambs it would take to feed a family of lions for a month?” Pilcher mused. “We sort of know what it takes for wolves, but something tells me we would be in a whole new ball game.”

Maybe the lions could eat the elephants.  Sorry.  This is a HORRENDOUS idea.  First off, the climate is absolutely wrong.  Even in NM, IT SNOWS!  I dunno, but I thought that mammals like Elephants and Lions didn’t handle the cold to well, that’s why they’re in f*cking AFRICA.  Second, the space needed for these types of animals would be HUGE.  Even in a refuge or preserve, they’d quickly create boundries, or possibly infringe on other’s boundries. 

I think “He” said it best:  “Lions eat people,” he said.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 August 2005 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08
Mort - 24 August 2005 11:39 AM

Europeans are the worst species to be distrabuted around the world.

Mort, I think this is the smartest thing I’ve ever seen on this board.  I’m only partly joking - but REALLY, could those damn Conquistadors have DONE any more damage??!

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 August 2005 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

Well, I guess if the tables were turned, the Incas might well have brought disease and pestilence (sp?) to Europe, with their little paddle boats.

p.s.  When I posted this, there was SO a post from Mort, right above it!  I kept trying to quite it, but it wouldn’t let me…now I know WHY!

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 August 2005 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-19

Eh? Where’s my post gone?

Wow, and it was filled with lovely info about the Incas too. Damn-it!

Do you think they would have made it this far? Glad they didn’t because all diseases from Hot countrys are horrible and festering. Every potential sailor knows that.

‘ello sailor…!

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2005 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08
Mort - 24 August 2005 01:19 PM

Eh? Where’s my post gone?

Wow, and it was filled with lovely info about the Incas too. Damn-it!

Do you think they would have made it this far? Glad they didn’t because all diseases from Hot countrys are horrible and festering. Every potential sailor knows that.

‘ello sailor…!

If it was mod-deleted it wasn’t me!!  I know, I quite enjoyed the inca bit.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 August 2005 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-19

Sorry about the ‘ello sailor, thought the time was right.

Rats, it’s all this talk of Gay Batman, now i’m thinking Gay!!!

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2005 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

You are aware that there are already many African animals on preserves here in America, right?  Lions, tigers, elephants, hippos, giraffes, gazelle, zebras.  Lots, and they survive just fine.  I remember Lion King Safari, later International Wildlife Park.  These animals were in the open, and survived the elements.  I’m assuming they’re not talking about doing anything new, just expanding on pre-existing programs to provide large enough populations to ensure species survival.

Also, introducing large species like these into the wild wouldn’t be anywhere near as dangerous as introducing smaller, faster breeding ones like dogs or rabbits.  The larger the animal, the lower the birth rate and the easier they are to control.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 24 August 2005 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18
Charybdis - 24 August 2005 04:01 PM

You are aware that there are already many African animals on preserves here in America, right?  Lions, tigers, elephants, hippos, giraffes, gazelle, zebras.  Lots, and they survive just fine.  I remember Lion King Safari, later International Wildlife Park.  These animals were in the open, and survived the elements.  I’m assuming they’re not talking about doing anything new, just expanding on pre-existing programs to provide large enough populations to ensure species survival.

Also, introducing large species like these into the wild wouldn’t be anywhere near as dangerous as introducing smaller, faster breeding ones like dogs or rabbits.  The larger the animal, the lower the birth rate and the easier they are to control.

Thats a good point, but larger animals also eat more.  Elephants might have bad effects on our plant ecosystem—and what happens if they decide they like munching on, say, deadly nightshade?  Would we have to get rid of the plant then?  Maybe we could send it to Africa.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

2 of 3