2 of 2
End of the Earth Postponed
Posted: 21 October 2010 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2010-09-19

Have no fear the WEEKLY WORLD NEWS is already covering the story and just released the new DEATH DATE

2015!!!!!

they haven’t released the actual date yet but they are hard at work “deciphering” the new “information”!!!

and for those of you who cant wait remember WEEKLY WORLD NEWS is your ONLY “reLIEable” news source

....now if only they could recapture BAT BOY

Signature 

“if you wonder how he eats and breaths and other science facts…just keep in mind its just a show you should really just relax…”

Posted: 24 October 2010 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-10-24

It seems a pretty curious aspect of humans to be so fascinated with their own demise, including a grand eschatological one.  The world has been on the brink of ending for millennia if you follow the predictions of any civilization.

I read a book on 2012 a few years back called 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl.  It was a pretty interesting book that started on more rational premises and then wandered off into crazy territory.  I’m extremely fascinated with various cataclysmic beliefs of cultures throughout history (Rapture, Ragnarok, even Thomas Malthus) and various suicide cults that coincide with some more microcosmic beliefs (Heaven’s Gate, Jim Jones, etc).  It’s an interesting exploration of the human psyche for sure.

But maybe this nonsense will quickly go the way of Y2K and various other arbitrary end-of-the-world scenarios.

Posted: 24 October 2010 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

Dang, if the world doesn’t end in 2012, I’ll have to toss my retirement plans out the window & switch back to Plan B, winning the lottery.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 24 October 2010 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-10-24
feotu - 25 October 2010 03:27 AM

Dang, if the world doesn’t end in 2012, I’ll have to toss my retirement plans out the window & switch back to Plan B, winning the lottery.

When I still worked at my old job, I had actually put in for the 12/21/2012 off, just so I could throw a party the night before and not come into work that Friday (not that there would be work to come back to, right!?).  My boss thought I was nutty.

Posted: 01 November 2010 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26368
Joined  2004-11-29

Might just be me, but I thought that this was vaguely appropriate.  Although that could be primarily because of the tag at the bottom…

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 15 November 2010 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2010-11-11

I was really looking forward to the end so I could have a party I didn’t have to pay for

Posted: 16 November 2010 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
LEE - 15 November 2010 11:54 PM

I was really looking forward to the end so I could have a party I didn’t have to pay for

Yeah.. I’m reminded of those folks who maxed out their credit cards in 1999 on the theory that the computers would crash and they wouldn’t have to pay later.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

2 of 2