1 of 2
End of the Earth Postponed
Posted: 20 October 2010 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2006-09-28

With 2012 just around the corner, I thought, “FINALLY!  The Mayan calendar crazies can stop yapping their mouth when it passes uneventful.”  Now, I have to suffer a little longer:

End of Earth Postponed

It’s a good news/bad news situation for believers in the 2012 Mayan apocalypse. The good news is that the Mayan “Long Count” calendar may not end on Dec. 21, 2012 (and, by extension, the world may not end along with it). The bad news for prophecy believers? If the calendar doesn’t end in December 2012, no one knows when it actually will - or if it has already.
A new critique, published as a chapter in the new textbook “Calendars and Years II: Astronomy and Time in the Ancient and Medieval World” (Oxbow Books, 2010), argues that the accepted conversions of dates from Mayan to the modern calendar may be off by as much as 50 or 100 years. That would throw the supposed and overhyped 2012 apocalypse off by decades and cast into doubt the dates of historical Mayan events. (The doomsday worries are based on the fact that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, much as our year ends on Dec. 31.)
The Mayan calendar was converted to today’s Gregorian calendar using a calculation called the GMT constant, named for the last initials of three early Mayanist researchers. Much of the work emphasized dates recovered from colonial documents that were written in the Mayan language in the Latin alphabet, according to the chapter’s author, Gerardo Aldana, University of California, Santa Barbara professor of Chicana and Chicano Studies.
Later, the GMT constant was bolstered by American linguist and anthropologist Floyd Lounsbury, who used data in the Dresden Codex Venus Table, a Mayan calendar and almanac that charts dates relative to the movements of Venus.
“He took the position that his work removed the last obstacle to fully accepting the GMT constant,” Aldana said in a statement. “Others took his work even further, suggesting that he had proven the GMT constant to be correct.”
But according to Aldana, Lounsbury’s evidence is far from irrefutable.
“If the Venus Table cannot be used to prove the FMT as Lounsbury suggests, its acceptance depends on the reliability of the corroborating data,” he said. That historical data, he said, is less reliable than the Table itself, causing the argument for the GMT constant to fall “like a stack of cards.”
Aldana doesn’t have any answers as to what the correct calendar conversion might be, preferring to focus on why the current interpretation may be wrong. Looks like end-of-the-world theorists may need to find another ancient calendar on which to pin their apocalyptic hopes.

Oh, well. At least they said the date could have already passed.  Maybe the world did end, and we just didn’t notice.

Signature 

“Go ahead, threaten me like you have the American people for so long! You’re part of a dying breed, like people who can name all fifty states! The truth hurts, doesn’t it? Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!”

Posted: 20 October 2010 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2010-03-21

I’m betting the next big end of the world date will be 2033, 2000 years after the Crucifixion. “See, the clock didn’t start ticking until He was arisen.” I shouldn’t give them any new ideas.

Posted: 20 October 2010 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

The really scary thing is that the story was posted yesterday, yet it already has 6,054 Comments. gulp  shut eye

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 20 October 2010 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
daveprime - 20 October 2010 05:57 PM

The really scary thing is that the story was posted yesterday, yet it already has 6,054 Comments. gulp  shut eye

Didn’t you know?  It’s the Mayan “Idiot Count” calendar.  Once the number of comments reaches a certain amount, the Internet will crash and that will cause the world to end.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 21 October 2010 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

LOL  That’s so ridiculous, Acci.  Yet it could also be scarily true.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 21 October 2010 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

Weren’t there a few other Apocalyptic movements in the past that delayed the end when the original date came? I remember there was one guy who said the continents would change shape or something and he kept putting off the year of turmoil.

I’ll have to look these up when I have more time. Somebody should start a thread about great disastrous predictions that got postponed.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 21 October 2010 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

There’s LOTS of those, actually.

Here’s the scary bit: The movements often got MORE popular AFTER the date was moved up a bit…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 21 October 2010 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 21 October 2010 11:44 AM

There’s LOTS of those, actually.

That would make for a nice interesting thread then.

Robin Bobcat - 21 October 2010 11:44 AM

Here’s the scary bit: The movements often got MORE popular AFTER the date was moved up a bit…

Maybe it’s because more and more people appreciate the convenience of an apocalypse that gives them more time to enjoy the taste of a McHappy Meal.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Actually, I think Alex has a nice topic on the main page about that.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 21 October 2010 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

We already have this topic on here, which sort of covers end-of-the-world topics overall.  And we have another one on 2012 stuff.

Then, of course, we have all the topics with our very own Forum’s favourite end-of-the-world nutter, who for some reason hasn’t shown up much after his prophecies didn’t work out and his cult leader got arrested. . .

But his prophecy and cult stuff can be seen in all of these:

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/2114/
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/2123/
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/2144/
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/2145/
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/4052/
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/5025/
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/9285/

I actually kind of miss that guy, really.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 21 October 2010 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2006-09-28

That’s right, wasn’t the world supposed to end 10/10/10?  Or is it 11/11/11?  12/12/12? Well, it can’t very well be 13/13/13.. or can it?!

Signature 

“Go ahead, threaten me like you have the American people for so long! You’re part of a dying breed, like people who can name all fifty states! The truth hurts, doesn’t it? Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!”

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Lousy Smarch weather…

Signature 

1 of 2