1 of 1
advice please for car backup systems wireless
Posted: 21 September 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I’m looking at these systems online that have monitors and cameras.  I need something easy though since messing with the car’s wiring really isn’t an option.  I also noted that a lot of complaints are that in sun glare there’s a problem seeing anything on the screen. 

There are so many and I am now befuddled by the reviews so I thought I should just identify what I want:  large enough screen but NOT fisheye; eacy to install without messing with vehicle electrical system; works at night as well as day.  I’d like one too that would turn on when you back up.

Can anyone give me any advice on all these?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 21 September 2010 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, I don’t know anything about specific brands.  But as far as glare being a problem, if you can angle the lens slightly downwards and put a sunshield over it (sort of like the ones that you often see over traffic lights), then that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.  And for seeing in the dark, you could go with a fancy night-vision system added onto it. . .but it would be easier to just either make do with your current back-up lights, or else add on an extra back-up light for the camera if that is possible.

Personally, I would recommend putting a series of foot-long rods sticking out behind the vehicle.  If you back up and one of them presses up against an object, a shaped charge will explode and blast the wall or other vehicle or tree or pedestrian or whatever into oblivion, thus removing the obstruction and letting you back up with ease.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 September 2010 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

I was trying to work out what you would back up, but I realised you mean to reverse.

Simplest trick if you are parking in the same garage is to put down a brick where you want to stop.

There are also bumper sensors that can be added, but I don’t know what the cost difference would be.

Anyway, I think a motroing forum will be a better place to ask.

Posted: 22 September 2010 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Mr R - 22 September 2010 08:27 AM

I was trying to work out what you would back up, but I realised you mean to reverse.

Simplest trick if you are parking in the same garage is to put down a brick where you want to stop.

There are also bumper sensors that can be added, but I don’t know what the cost difference would be.

Anyway, I think a motoroing forum will be a better place to ask.

Actually I’m looking for one of these systems as a gift for my husband, Erik (I don’t drive) for parking in public places as well as backing out from them in difficult areas.  So the brick idea, while nice for parking always in specific garages is a good one, it wouldn’t work when parallel parking etc.

Becoming a member in a motoring forum for just this single quest seems to be going over the line a little since I’ve known these members here for a number of years and have received very good advice here.  I have also read numerous reviews from Amazon and a few other sites who sell these systems.  Lots of the reviews are from folks who have no qualms about rewiring their electrical systems for hard-wired systems, and there is little given about the wireless ones.  They are not cheap and I don’t feel I should invest in any carelessly (I don’t have those kinds of funds).

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 1