1 of 1
US Pork Board falls for blindingly obvious ThinkGeek April Fool’s item.
Posted: 22 June 2010 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Ok… to give you some background.. ThinkGeek routinely puts up some gag items on their website for April Fool’s Day. This is a good thing. It’s funny, makes people laugh… and occasionally, they get enough folks clamouring for an item, they actually go and make it (the Tauntaun Sleeping Bag, for instance)

This last time, they had Canned Unicorn Meat. Complete with the slogan ‘The New White Meat!’. The Pork Board took umbrage.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/blog/2010/06/officially-our-bestever-cease.html

Can only imagine the scene when they found out they were protesting a blindingly fictional product… This may need to make it to the front page.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 22 June 2010 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Heh.. The Register has picked up the story.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 23 June 2010 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

Too Funny!!  LOL

The truly awesome part is that they actually paid some law firm to come up with a 14 PAGE ‘cease and Desist’ letter.  Not a bad investment to stop the sale of a non-existant product.... LOL  LOL

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 25 June 2010 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2892
Joined  2005-06-15
daveprime - 23 June 2010 08:25 PM

Too Funny!!  LOL

The truly awesome part is that they actually paid some law firm to come up with a 14 PAGE ‘cease and Desist’ letter.  Not a bad investment to stop the sale of a non-existant product.... LOL  LOL

Not only that. I wonder which bright spark at the law firm put together the “cease and desist” letter for the product that doesn’t exist.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 June 2010 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, to be fair, they *do* have to protect trademarks…

... except in cases where it is used for Parody, which this is *very* clearly.

Signature 

1 of 1