1 of 2
Telephone scam
Posted: 15 June 2010 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

A woman who I know has a number of elderly siblings, ranging in age from being over seventy to being almost ninety.  Recently, two of them (we’ll call them M. and B.) have been receiving occasional telephone calls from (according to their caller IDs) a number in Canada.  The people calling claim to be their grandchildren, although it is obvious that they are not.  The people calling know the names of the grandchildren, of the grandparents, and of some other family members.  They also seem to know at least a little bit of out-of-date information about the grandkids.  The calls tend to be about how the grandkids are in some sort of a predicament, and lead up to pleas for the grandparents to wire money to them to help them out of their troubles.

For example, one recent call was to M. and was claiming to be his grandson, C.  The caller said that he was was driving through downtown Cincinnati at night and got into a car accident, and that he needed money to pay for his girlfriend’s hospital bill and to get the car repaired.  The real-life C. had actually been living in Cincinnati. . .but had moved to California three days earlier, where M. knew him to be at that time due to having talked to C.‘s father a few hours earlier in another telephone call.  Also, the callers never quite sound like the people who they claim to be, such as by calling M. “grandfather” rather than “gramps” the way that C. always does.

So it’s apparently some sort of a scam, wherein the callers have somehow gained an unknown amount of information about M. and C. (and maybe other people as well) and are trying to con money out of “gullible old geezers”.

Has anybody else here experienced or heard of other cases similar to this lately?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 June 2010 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15026
Joined  2006-08-16

Yep, there have been a couple articles about similar scams in one of our local newspapers. From March of this year and November of last, from the dates of those two articles.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 15 June 2010 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Hmmm, Canada again in those articles.  You just can’t trust them northerners.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 16 June 2010 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

Beware Canada - The Nigeria of North America!

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 16 June 2010 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Yeah. I bet those Cannies have WMD’s as well. Time to spring into action!

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 16 June 2010 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15
LaMa - 16 June 2010 11:06 AM

Careful. They’ve developed their Justin Bieber capability. We need to develop a missile shield for that.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 16 June 2010 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26368
Joined  2004-11-29

Snopes covered it a few months ago, too.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 16 June 2010 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Peter - 16 June 2010 11:11 AM

Careful. They’ve developed their Justin Bieber capability. We need to develop a missile shield for that.

How about Pamela Anderson? She has two formidable WMD’s…in fact, WM-double-D’s…..

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 16 June 2010 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15
LaMa - 16 June 2010 11:39 AM

How about Pamela Anderson? She has two formidable WMD’s…in fact, WM-double-D’s…..

My God. The Government prepared to unleash Pamela Anderson against Justin Bieber? Wouldn’t the Pentagon be arrested for unleashing against a minor?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 16 June 2010 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

No jury would convict them.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 21 September 2010 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21
LaMa - 16 June 2010 11:39 AM

Actually, us Canucks have Pam catalogued as a WMS- weapon of mass seduction

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 21 September 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15026
Joined  2006-08-16

And back on topic, there was another article in my local paper today about an elderly gentleman who was saved $5800.00 by the kind folks at Wal-Mart warning him off wiring the money to his “graddaughter” up in Canada.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

1 of 2