Spear Of Destiny
Posted: 16 April 2010 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

It

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 16 April 2010 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

I don’t see the cross being holy either. Why gloify what killed you Savior? But like the Shroud of Turin, some need the physical

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 17 April 2010 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15
I am an ex associate - 17 April 2010 03:24 AM

I don’t see the cross being holy either. Why gloify what killed you Savior? But like the Shroud of Turin, some need the physical

There is a small voice of dissent with Christianity which is echoed by the books of Bishop John Shelby Spong. I think the current term is Humanist Christianity or something like that. Anyway some Christians are now questioning the accepted teachings of mainstream Christian Churches.

For example some Christians are asking if God really did command His Son to die on the Cross. And even “was Jesus really born the Son of God or was He adopted by God as His Son when He showed His faith by dying on The Cross?”

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 17 April 2010 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
Tah - 15 April 2010 08:16 PM
Sharruma - 15 April 2010 08:01 PM

Last I heard it was in a museum somewhere

The Museum of Hoaxes?

THIS MUSEUM  Quite good, actually.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 17 April 2010 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2010-02-04
Sharruma - 16 April 2010 05:12 PM
Mr R - 16 April 2010 12:00 PM

What would be holy about a lance used to kill the alleged messiah?

It would supposedly have the blood of god on it.

Actually, as the story goes, it did not kill Jesus.  He was dead already.  Supposedly, it was the custom to break the legs of those hanging on crosses to cause the hanger to suffocate and die quicker.  I assume this would have been after a certain amount of time.  The Roman guards noted that Jesus was dead already so instead of breaking his legs they stuck him with a spear.  When this was done a mixture of blood and water came out. 

This is supposed to fulfill some prophecy about none of his bones being broken or something like that.  The truth of the matter is, since this is only found in John which was the last of the gospels, and most spiritual, to be written, this was probably added later to the myth to try and make a false fulfillment of prophecy to add more credibility to the idea of Jesus being the messiah.

Posted: 17 April 2010 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-03-19

Try the Library…

(The Librarian: Quest For The Spear, awesome movie)

Posted: 17 April 2010 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Didn’t the cross only become holy after the “In this sign, thou shalt conquer” thing?

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 17 April 2010 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
ZeldaQueen - 18 April 2010 02:55 AM

Didn’t the cross only become holy after the “In this sign, thou shalt conquer” thing?

That sounds like you’re referring to Emperor Constantine at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge, where he saw the chi and rho symbol.  Which isn’t quite a cross, exactly, and also happened in the early 4th Century.  The Alexandrians, at the very least, were already referring to the cross as a holy object by the 3rd Century (if we’re to believe St. Clement, which I don’t see why we shouldn’t on this account at least).

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 18 April 2010 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
raincan007 - 18 April 2010 01:16 AM

Try the Library…

(The Librarian: Quest For The Spear, awesome movie)

Uh, yeah, that’s kind of what I said.  Noah Wyle.  (sigh).

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 19 April 2010 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
Accipiter - 18 April 2010 03:03 AM
ZeldaQueen - 18 April 2010 02:55 AM

That sounds like you’re referring to Emperor Constantine at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge, where he saw the chi and rho symbol.  Which isn’t quite a cross, exactly, and also happened in the early 4th Century.  The Alexandrians, at the very least, were already referring to the cross as a holy object by the 3rd Century (if we’re to believe St. Clement, which I don’t see why we shouldn’t on this account at least).

Yeah, I just learned about it once in middle school, when we did our unite on the Byzantine Empire. Thanks! ^^;

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 20 April 2010 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Bebelicious - 18 April 2010 02:46 PM

Uh, yeah, that’s kind of what I said.  Noah Wyle.  (sigh).

But we don’t listen to you.  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

2 of 3