1 of 1
Mondegreenness
Posted: 09 April 2010 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Dave’s karaoke topic got me to thinking about the wonders of mondegreens.  That is, times when you unintentionally mis-hear the lyrics of a song and thus end up with your own special version of the lyrics.  And so I thought that it might be amusing to see some of the accidental mondegreens that our forum members have managed to produce over the years.

A few of my own:

“Secret Asian Man”

“What’s Love, Cockatoo?”

Then there was my first wife, who had a rather interesting interpretation of Johnny Otis’ song “Willie and the Hand Jive”.  I’ll just say that whereas the song lyrics talk about a hand jive, what she heard was something perhaps rather more interesting but a tad bit less acceptable for among polite company.  Which made it interesting to hear her sing the song, though she did wonder how such a song managed to make it past the censors and onto the airwaves in the 1950’s.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 10 April 2010 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  2008-09-08

Well, it’s not me personally, but Kiss This Guy is a nice repository for such things.

Posted: 10 April 2010 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2009-12-31

I misheard the lryics for “i love it when you call” and now i think the misherd lryics are the real ones.
LOL

Signature 

Cryptids On Land Are Easier To Hunt Than Those In Sea And Air.

Posted: 10 April 2010 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

I still sing “Secret Asian Man” just because it’s so much fun.  My own favorite is “My my, ovulations”.

One of the more humorous ones I’ve heard about, though I never misheard myself, is “There’s a bathroom on the right!”.  And of course there’s the ongoing debate over whether Mandfred Mann’s Earth Band actually sang Deuce or Douche in “Blinded By the Light”.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 10 April 2010 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
Charybdis - 10 April 2010 06:38 AM

And of course there’s the ongoing debate over whether Mandfred Mann’s Earth Band actually sang Deuce or Douche in “Blinded By the Light”.

I’ve always wondered that myself! LOL LOL

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 10 April 2010 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

My personal favorite is the one for Elton John’s ‘Tiny Dancer’...

♫ “Hold me closer, Tony Danza….” ♫

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 10 April 2010 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15029
Joined  2006-08-16

It’s nice having Sirius satellite radio. The display shows the name of the group and the name of the song being played.  There have been several times when I’ve said, “Is that what the title of the song is? I thought they were saying [something else].” Though no specific examples come to mind right at the moment.

And, of course, there have been even more times when I’ve gone, “Oh. Is that who sings this song.”

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 April 2010 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2006-04-12

having a friend who worked in a second hand record store i heard quite a few of these

in crazy in love beyonce quite clearly states ‘kinda f**kin ian paisley right now’

not to mention deep purples ‘sloooow motion walter, the fire engine guy’

thin lizzys ‘frozen back in time’ (boys are back in town)

some of the ones ive heard for ‘easy lover’ are too filthy to print

Posted: 13 April 2010 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Then there’s the mondegreen that isn’t - at the end of Queen’s “One Vision”, they do actually sing “Fried Chicken”.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 13 April 2010 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
sensibleken - 13 April 2010 08:26 AM

in crazy in love beyonce quite clearly states ‘kinda f**kin ian paisley right now’

LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

1 of 1