1 of 2
Hitler wanted to steal the Turin Shroud - ‘but was thwarted by the Vatican’
Posted: 08 April 2010 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Adolf Hitler wanted to steal the Turin Shroud during World War II, an Italian monk has claimed.

But the Vatican helped hide the cloth relic, on which is scorched the image of Christ’s face, in a rural monastery to keep it out of the clutches of the Fuhrer.

To protect the Shroud from Hitler, Vatican officials and the Italian royal family ordered that it be locked away in a southern Italian Benedictine monastery.

The linen sheet bearing the image of Christ has captivated the imagination of historians, church chiefs, sceptics and Catholics for more than 500 years.

The shroud will go on display this weekend for the first time in a decade. More than two million people - including Pope Benedict XVI - are due to see it on display in Turin Cathedral where it has been kept for the last 64 years.

The wartime revelation emerged in an interview Father Andrea Cardin, librarian of the Montevergine abbey, gave in the current issue of Italian magazine Diva e Donna.

He said: ‘The Holy Shroud was moved in secret to the sanctuary in the Campania region on the precise orders of the Royal House of Savoy (which owned it at the time) and the Vatican.

‘Officially this was to protect it from possible bombing in Turin. In reality, it was moved to hide it from Hitler who was apparently obsessed by it.

‘When he visited Italy in 1938, his top-ranking Nazi aides asked unusual and insistent questions about the Shroud.

‘Then in 1943 when German troops searched the Montevergine church, the monks there pretended to be in deep prayer before the altar inside which the relic was hidden.

‘This was the only reason it wasn’t discovered. Then in 1946 it was returned to Turin, as instructed by (Italy’s last king) Umberto II of Savoy, and remains preserve there in that city’s cathedral.’

Hitler was obsessed with the occult - the Nazi swastika has long been considered a black magic symbol while he was also devoted to German composer Richard Wagner who was said to be a Satanist.

During the war Hitler also ordered research into a spear that was said to have pierced Christ’s side at the Crucifixion and which was held in a Berlin museum.

He thought that be unlocking the ‘codes’ of the symbols carved into it he would obtain great powers and would be able to ‘read the minds of his enemies’.

The Shroud will go on display this Saturday until May 23.

It has only been seen in public five times in the last 100 years and during the six weeks it is on display visitors will have just three minutes to view it before being moved on.

The shroud bears the faint image of the front and back of a tall, long-haired, bearded man and appears to be stained by blood from wounds in his feet, wrists and side.

Whether it is genuine or an elaborate 500-year-old fake has remained one of the greatest mysteries of time.

Carbon-dating tests were conducted on the cloth in 1988 by scientists in Oxford, Zurich and Tucson, Arizona, who were each given separate linen samples to work with. The tests dated the Shroud to between 1260 and 1390, suggesting that it was a brilliant Renaissance hoax.

But other scientists have since claimed that contamination over the ages, for example from water damage and fire, were not taken sufficiently into account and could have distorted the results.

In 1999 another group of experts put a seventh century date on it, following careful comparisons to an almost identical shroud in Valencia.

As a result of the controversy and the fact that dating techniques have improved significantly since the 1988 tests were done, there have been numerous calls for further testing but so far the Vatican has refused permission.

The Shroud is thought to have travelled widely before it was brought to France in the 14th century by a crusader. French Clarisse nuns kept it for many years in one of their convents, where it was damaged by fire in 1532.

The nuns sought to put this damage right two years later by sewing about 30 patches onto it.

The Shroud was given to the Turin archbishop in 1578 by the Duke of Savoy and has been kept in the Cathedral ever since. Until recently it was stored rolled up in a silver casket.

But at an international meeting in Turin in 2000 - the last time the Shroud was put on display - experts decided to store it flat in a transparent case filled with an inert gas.

Source

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 08 April 2010 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16

“Indiana Jones and the Shroud of Turin” just doesn’t have the right sound to it.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 08 April 2010 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

But that’s an excellent pic of der Fuhrer! cheese

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 08 April 2010 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Hitler was obsessed with the occult - the Nazi swastika has long been considered a black magic symbol while he was also devoted to German composer Richard Wagner who was said to be a Satanist.

The stuff about the swastika and Wagner is garbage, and from what I’ve seen Hitler wasn’t actually “obsessed with the occult”. . .but I could still see him wanting to gain control of the Shroud.  He wasn’t religious himself, but he was a master of crowd psychology and would certainly recognise the power that being the official custodian of such a relic would give him.  Not any sort of mystical power, but more sort of an increased authority among many religious people.  And I could certainly imagine the Vatican wanting to hide their more important relics, just in case the Nazis decided to “remove them for safekeeping”, as the Nazis did with countless other bits of art and treasure.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 08 April 2010 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Who doesn’t want to steal the Shroud?  Come on it would be an awesome piece to have.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 08 April 2010 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

It would make one heck of a handkerchief.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 08 April 2010 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29
Accipiter - 08 April 2010 08:44 PM

Or wrapping a body in.

Signature 

Posted: 08 April 2010 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2010-02-04
N E O - 08 April 2010 08:44 PM

Or wrapping a body in.

I would make an awesome “snuggie”.

Posted: 09 April 2010 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2005-09-11

This may sound like Dr Jones stuff, but Hitler also wanted The Sword of Destiny and the Holy Grail. For what purpose, we can only guess.
Hirler’s relationship with the occult was rather ambivalent. He sent many astrologers and “occultists” to camps, but occultism played a strong role in the SS (not the Waffen-SS), and he had his own astrologer (something that allowed Britain to predict some of his moves by employing an astrologer of their own to predict his German counterpart’s predictions. Some have taken this to mean that Churchill too believed in this, but this was not the case; he just relied on his astrologer to make the same predictions as Hitler’s. But I’m digressing)

Signature 

This is the internet, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents.

“Do you expect me to talk?”
“No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!”

Some people are like slinkies: They don’t really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posted: 09 April 2010 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
Madd Maxx - 08 April 2010 09:47 PM

Or wrapping a body in.

. . . I may have to find some way to market this.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 09 April 2010 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2010-02-04
Robin Bobcat - 09 April 2010 10:24 AM
Madd Maxx - 08 April 2010 09:47 PM

Or wrapping a body in.

. . . I may have to find some way to market this.

I want a cut.

Posted: 09 April 2010 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29

*sharpens my machete*  Where would you like to be cut?

Signature 

1 of 2