1 of 2
Here we go i.e. Bureau of Meteorology images show mysterious patterns on radar system
Posted: 01 April 2010 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

Story (if you can call it that) here

-Mysterious shapes appear on radar
-Bureau of Meteorology says it’s interference
-Conspiracy theorists buzzing

THEY are the digital-age equivalent of crop circles - mysterious patterns appearing on the Bureau of Meteorology’s national radar system without any explanation.

And the random images described as red stars, rings of fire and white doughnuts are sending online conspiracy websites into meltdown.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 01 April 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

I actually saw one of those blobs a few months ago.  I’m now cursing I didn’t get a screen-shot of it to post here.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 01 April 2010 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16

Smerk’s cursing! big surprise

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 01 April 2010 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15
Smerk - 02 April 2010 03:05 AM

I actually saw one of those blobs a few months ago.  I’m now cursing I didn’t get a screen-shot of it to post here.

Are you saying this has nothing to do with April Fools? I initially thought this was a rip off of a news story by The Onion.

The World suddenly seems a bit stranger.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 01 April 2010 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
Peter - 02 April 2010 03:33 AM

Are you saying this has nothing to do with April Fools? I initially thought this was a rip off of a news story by The Onion.

Well, they were a bit late in posting the story if it was supposed to be on April Fool’s (according to the time stamp of the article). And I would imagine it was held and posted at that time on purpose.

Of course, it may have been cued up to automatically post and some knucklehead screwed up the time for the auto-post.  We did have at least one April Fool’s story get posted early. Why not have one get posted late?

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 02 April 2010 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Tah - 02 April 2010 03:29 AM

Smerk’s cursing! big surprise

Hard to believe from somebody as sweet and innocent as Smerk, I know, but you know how weather patterns effect people in weird ways.  That’s why the Illuminati put rainbows in the rain, for example.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 02 April 2010 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-29
Peter - 02 April 2010 03:33 AM
Smerk - 02 April 2010 03:05 AM

Yep, it’s legit.  See if you can spot one yourself.

Signature 

Posted: 02 April 2010 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
Smerk - 02 April 2010 04:17 AM

Yep, it’s legit.  See if you can spot one yourself.

I see a bunch of rings near the bottom of the radar image. They seem to be hovering over the ocean with various other numbers and letters! shock

Signature 

Posted: 02 April 2010 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

That looks exactly like what they are: instrumental artefacts.

Anything circular centered on one of the radar locations is usually an instrumental artefact of some sort.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 09 April 2010 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-29

Spotted this yesterday.

And it seems to be centralised over Coffs Harbour, which doesn’t have a radar of its own.

Signature 

Posted: 10 April 2010 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

Going to look at the radar after Smerk’s post I saw this nifty fan in Queensland, south of Cairns.

Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2014 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-29

We’re still getting random glitches with our rain radars, but this is new.

A strange S-shaped formation which appeared on weather bureau radar off the West Australian coast was not caused by cloud, the bureau says.

The shape was spotted on the weather bureau’s radar map on Wednesday about 30 kilometres west of Rottnest.

After checking the satellite, the bureau’s Neil Bennett ruled out the phenomenon being caused by cloud.

“There’s no cloud, there’s nothing to produce a rain echo, ... which we do see a lot, but not this particular shape,” he said.

“They don’t take on S shapes and things like that.

“The radar that we use are there for the detection of precipitation, it’s basically just a beam going out and hitting the rain droplets or ice particles from hail.

“Sometimes the beam itself rather than going straight it gets bent back to earth and you start to pick up reflections from the ocean, rather than rain droplets.”

The ABC has asked the Department of Defence whether there are military operations off the coast which may interfere with radar activity.

The department is yet to comment.

The WA Weather Group has seized on the photo and retweeted it to their followers.

“Nice that our pet #RottNessMonster has avoided the shark baits. Her name is Susan & she likes to eat plankton,” the group tweeted.

“And I, for one, welcome our new giant sea serpent overlords,” Perth Sunrise Prints tweeted.

Signature 

1 of 2