2 of 5
Carnosine and Glutathione
Posted: 13 March 2010 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

I’m curious Dave as to why the effectiveness of the stuff has to be related to either God or Satan?    Couldn’t it just be what it is?

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 13 March 2010 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2006-12-06

Since you are a religious man, you must have faith. If you are able to believe, you should also be able to believe that relief from pain comes from good.  That being said, it saddens me to see that those people will be making money from your desperation. You could say that could count as a balance between good and evil. Now it’s up to you to decide whether you are willing to spend your money on an obvious placebo.

Signature 

“I have CDO. Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!”

Posted: 13 March 2010 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10
daveprime - 13 March 2010 06:11 AM

I have been out on the web and i am finding hundreds, if not thousands, of reputable people swearing by these things.

Most of the testimonials seem to come from people who are trying to sell them. What else do you expect them to say? And who are these reputable people you speak of? Oprah? Suzanne Somers?

So even if it IS just placebo effect, is that really so bad?

No, unless you are using them instead of a proven treatment.

But this brings up another point entirely.  As a Christian, i DO believe is some supernatural effects.

Hint: Real science works whether you believe in it or not.

What is the cost of using something evil to perform good works?

I guess you could be personally responsible for an earthquake or tsunami that kills thousands of innocent people who just happened to be near you while your loving god punishes you.

Could I, in good conscience, accept such relief knowing where it is coming from?  If so, what would be the cost of doing so?

I believe it’s about $79.95/month plus shipping.

Do you all see the nature of my quandary?

No, not really.

Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions?

Yes, stick to reality based solutions. The treatments available right now might not work but neither do the ones from kooks who make unsubstantiated miraculous claims with no evidence to back them up.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 13 March 2010 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2005-07-08

Guys. I gotta tell you something:

I may just be having a weak moment or something (brain aneurysm?) but i am almost ready to try Lifewave patches.  I know! I know!  there is NO way these things should work. Science says that this stuff HAS to be bogus!  But…..

I have been out on the web and i am finding hundreds, if not thousands, of reputable people swearing by these things.  People are being positively effected by them.  Their pain goes away.  Every time they use them.   And that is the crux of my dilemma. Even if there is no scientific reason that Lifewave should work, they still seem to!

many of you know my situation. To keep things brief, suffice it to say that i am in excruciating pain almost ALL of the time. Every hour. Every minute. Of every day of the year.  At this point, i would probably (maybe.) sacrifice small animals to get some decent relief for even short periods.  (And these things seem to do just that, though for long and uninterrupted periods, which is almost unbelievable to me, but true according to everything i have read.)  So even if it IS just placebo effect, is that really so bad?  I mean, if it works, who cares how it works? Really.

(But this brings up another point entirely.  As a Christian, i DO believe is some supernatural effects.  A basic tenant of my faith is that there are ONLY TWO sources for these effect; God or Satan. So, if these things DO actually have an effect, and (since a godly reason would be so stated to start out with) they then MUST come from the darker influences. Ergo, Evil.  ZIf then, these things being from an evil source, what is the reason behind providing said relief?  I honestly don’t know, but I am sure i will be mulling that facet of the equation over for a while….)

Do you all see the nature of my quandary?  IF I take these things and they WORK, and their source is NOT heavenly, where does that leave me?  What is the cost of using something evil to perform good works?  Could I, in good conscience, accept such relief knowing where it is coming from?  If so, what would be the cost of doing so?

So many questions for such a small mind as the one i get to work with…....

I’ve posted many times over on the LifeWave thread about the placebo effect.

For many years people thought of the placebo effect as something that was in your mind. You just imagined that something happened.

The problem was that people who experienced pain relief, for example, had less pain as per their subjective reports.

The pain placebo study in Ann Arbor gave exciting new insights into what was happening.

Here’s the study for you to read first. It’s a different report from the link I usually use.

http://www.snm.org/index.cfm?PageID=4287&RPID=7320

The critical element to the work is that the notion of placebo being strictly psychological has been successfully challenged.

In the study, real changes in the brain were shown and the production of endorphins, pain killers, was demonstrated.

The subjects were actually receiving IV saline solution, salt water, but thought they were being given an experimental pain killer.

So, when people post on the LifeWave thread, or the CieAura, 8ight, Power Balance, Mojo Future tech etc. etc. about the placebo effect, this research is relevant.

The problem is, that when a person is trying out a new treatment, their lack of belief in the product can interfere with the “results”

At this stage if you were to try using patches, you may feel nothing.

Had you been introduced to them with no prior knowledge of the SCAM, you may have experienced something.

Why do you think new scams are always in a mad dash hurry to get the product launched and into the worldwide market as quickly as possible?

A real treatment will work today and in ten years time.

Does this mean, that after 5 years of telling the world that he has invented a breakthrough in science David Schmidt is ready to admit his patches are only a placebo?

Time will tell.

Posted: 13 March 2010 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, it’s all up to you.  But if you do decide to try them, be sure to keep a journal so we can all follow your progress!

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 March 2010 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
cleon - 12 March 2010 03:13 AM

I NEVER MENTIONED SELLING PATCHES DOPEY -  SOMEONE HAS GOT CANCER AND WANTS INFORMATION ON GLUTATHIONE AND CARNOSINE.  IVE BEEN STUDYING IT FOR A LONG TIME AND I HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION TO PASS ON.  IF ANYONE IS REALLY INTERESTED BUY A BOOK CALLED ‘BREAKTHROUGH’  by Suzanne Somers.

Before Ms. Somers got cancer, she put out a (for-profit) weight loss program that eliminated things like carrots, avocados, and sweet potatos from the diet, but allowed steak with cream sauce SOURCE  , so while I’m very sorry she got sick, I have to wonder about her research and choices.  I bought the book, and didn’t feel it was any healthier than my own bad diet.  She seems to like red meat as much as I do, but what kind of healthy diet lets you have red meat but not carrots, nuts, or avocados which have proven health benefits?  I just can’t be comfortable taking health advice from her.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 13 March 2010 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08
Bebelicious - 13 March 2010 08:10 PM
cleon - 12 March 2010 03:13 AM

I NEVER MENTIONED SELLING PATCHES DOPEY -  SOMEONE HAS GOT CANCER AND WANTS INFORMATION ON GLUTATHIONE AND CARNOSINE.  IVE BEEN STUDYING IT FOR A LONG TIME AND I HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION TO PASS ON.  IF ANYONE IS REALLY INTERESTED BUY A BOOK CALLED ‘BREAKTHROUGH’  by Suzanne Somers.

Before Ms. Somers got cancer, she put out a (for-profit) weight loss program that eliminated things like carrots, avocados, and sweet potatos from the diet, but allowed steak with cream sauce SOURCE  , so while I’m very sorry she got sick, I have to wonder about her research and choices.  I bought the book, and didn’t feel it was any healthier than my own bad diet.  She seems to like red meat as much as I do, but what kind of healthy diet lets you have red meat but not carrots, nuts, or avocados which have proven health benefits?  I just can’t be comfortable taking health advice from her.

Sian started this new thread to learn about Carnosine etc. in the hope that it may be beneficial in the treatment of cancer, her cancer in particular.

One of our posters suggested Suzanne Sommers’ book would be a useful source of information.

Like many “personality experts” Ms Somers keeps one thing at the forefront.

Self promotion and making MONEY.

It’s always about the money folks.

So, Ms Somers had cancer and has cured it, right?

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2009/10/suzanne_somers_fishy_whole_body_cancer_s.php

Mmmmm

“Now, we already know that Somers did not, in fact, have cancer.”

Interesting.

“Ultimately, Somers did get a biopsy. She describes it in her interview above, “They cut into my neck and went in and took a piece of my lung, a piece of one of the so-called tumors around my heart turned out it was not cancer at all.”

Even more interesting.

NOT cancer. What was it?

The author suggests sarcoidosis.

Whatever.

The clear suggestion is that Ms Somers has written a book and is making money from suggesting she has cured her cancer, a cancer she didn’t have in the first place.

I have no way of knowing.

Would I be surprised if it turns out she has been scamming people…

Not at all.

For Sian, the story continues to get complicated, but I hope enough people post their thoughts about the various alternatives like carnosine to make this thread worthwhile for her.

Continued posts about LifeWave are, IMHO, best placed on the LifeWave thread.

Posted: 13 March 2010 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I didn’t know that ED.  It’s a shame if she went around telling people she had cancer when she didn’t.  It was brought to my attention when some tabloid or something got pictures of her coming out of a plastic surgeons clinic and got some kind of comfirmation that she had just had liposuction (remember, she IS the thighmaster). 

Her response was that the liposuction was related to the cancer.  I kid you not.  It’s right HERE.

So if Cleon is suggesting our poster buy a Suzanne Somers book looking for health advice on the usage of these two substances, you have indeed strenthened my position.  Don’t do it. 

Oh, and I checked out her website to see if she’s selling this stuff.  She does sell supplements, but they don’t appear to list all the incredients, but she is apparently a spokesperson for LifeWave Patches on her site HERE.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 13 March 2010 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08
Bebelicious - 13 March 2010 09:32 PM

I didn’t know that ED.  It’s a shame if she went around telling people she had cancer when she didn’t.  It was brought to my attention when some tabloid or something got pictures of her coming out of a plastic surgeons clinic and got some kind of comfirmation that she had just had liposuction (remember, she IS the thighmaster). 

Her response was that the liposuction was related to the cancer.  I kid you not.  It’s right HERE.

So if Cleon is suggesting our poster buy a Suzanne Somers book looking for health advice on the usage of these two substances, you have indeed strenthened my position.  Don’t do it. 

Oh, and I checked out her website to see if she’s selling this stuff.  She does sell supplements, but they don’t appear to list all the incredients, but she is apparently a spokesperson for LifeWave Patches on her site HERE.

Actually my name’s Dave.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581410,00.html

According to Sommers, the time she was told she had “full body cancer” was a mistake.

She makes reference to breast cancer from an earlier time period.

She appears to have received radiation treatment.

Here she claims Patrick Swayze could have cured his pancreatic cancer if only…

http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/09/18/suzanne-somers-chemotherapy-patrick-swayze/

She’s quite the “expert”!

Posted: 13 March 2010 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08

http://www.molecular-cancer.com/content/9/1/2

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2315055

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20090715/Carnosine-may-help-prevent-treat-cataracts.aspx

http://www.cancer.gov/search/results.aspx

Posted: 13 March 2010 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08
EDHUK - 14 March 2010 12:44 AM

http://www.molecular-cancer.com/content/9/1/2

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2315055

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20090715/Carnosine-may-help-prevent-treat-cataracts.aspx

http://www.cancer.gov/search/results.aspx

Type Carnitine in the search box.

http://onibasu.com/archives/am/74030.html

2 of 5