1 of 2
What’s Amway up to lately?
Posted: 21 February 2010 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15

I notice Amway is still around. What have they been up to lately?

I was once a member of Amway back in the early 1990s but I gave it up. The products seemed good at the time but I just couldn’t go along with the behaviour they were promoting.

To be fair I’ve heard different “teams” (or however they are called) act differently to each other but I’ve lost touch with over the years. I much rather be in a business that I can believe in.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 21 February 2010 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

Well, the last thing I heard about them was this. I figured that after researching that and looking at how they had done things in the past, that they weren’t a company I would EVER want to work with/for or support.  Pretty nasty stuff.  And the fact that 99% of people that now get active with it LOSE money,( like a stuck pig bleeds) doesn’t help.

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 21 February 2010 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
daveprime - 21 February 2010 02:39 PM

Well, the last thing I heard about them was this. I figured that after researching that and looking at how they had done things in the past, that they weren’t a company I would EVER want to work with/for or support.  Pretty nasty stuff.  And the fact that 99% of people that now get active with it LOSE money,( like a stuck pig bleeds) doesn’t help.

OK. I guess I can’t really add to that.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 21 February 2010 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16

They have a nice house (4th picture down) on the river in the town where I live. I don’t know if it’s actively theirs anymore, but it’s apparently on the market. It is known locally as “The Amway House” since they’re the ones who built it.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 21 February 2010 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

As far as I know, the company has mutated and changed over the years, tryng to keep ahead of the laws for pyramid schemes. They occasionally have ‘affiliated’ groups and companies, to avoid the negative connotations the company has accumulated over time.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 23 July 2010 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-07-23

Amway has ripped off millions of people for several decades, to the tune of 10s of billions of dollars.

Read about it on this website: http://thenetprofitgroup.yolasite.com and forward the information to everyone you know, so they don’t get scammed.

Amway is a scam, and here’s why: Amway pays out as little money as they can get away with, so they support the higher level IBOs ripping off their downline via the tool scam.

As a result, about 99% of IBOs operate at a net loss, while the top 1% make several TIMES more from their Amway tool scam than from the Amway products. This was made illegal in the UK in 2008, but our FTC is unable to pull their heads out of their butts to stop it here.

Posted: 28 November 2010 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

m05he56 I agree with you.  Back in the late 60s or early 70s I remember Amway introducing itself at a party I attended.  I was still new to this country then and when this person was explaining how everything worked by drawing a pyramid and explaining everything down the line I was appalled and yet the other people there were not in the least upset by this idea (nevermind the overpriced product).  I kept asking questions of the representative who was trying to get people to join with him or rather under him.  I could see how he was going to make some money but he was under someone else who was was under someone else and by the time it would reach those of us at that party that this guy was trying to recruit, I couldn’t see how we’d make much at all unless we sold an enormous amount to every single living creature within our own immediate area without stepping on the toes of the other next-door neighbors who were trying to do the same thing. 

The products are still too expensive and sadly [for Amway] there are plenty of products on the market that are just as good or better.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 November 2010 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

I have to admit the last straw for me was when I went to an Amway meeting and this guy was telling the crowd how he was working in Amway and his motivation was linked to his dying child.

It didn’t hit me straight away. Or maybe it did. It was almost like something in my head just lurched and it took me a little time to realise just how offended I felt. In the end the feeling offence was palpable, not just at this jerk but also at the crowd who were cheering him.

Ripping people off for the sake of his dying child. But the really disturbing part was how the crowd cheered him. I could speak volumes about that but I still don’t know where to begin.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 28 November 2010 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

It’s called manipulation via guilt Peter.  This kind of obvious behavior tactic is also touted as a HUGE red flag in toxic-dangerous relationships.  Exploiting his child’s condition is negligence and hardly worth cheering.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 November 2010 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28

I ended up filing for bankruptcy after trying to build a group myself for three years. I ended up having one person become interested, and they decided to sign with someone else when it got to time for me to bring them a start-up package. That was the last straw for me. I am still good friends with my sponsor, but they have also dropped out after their group of people petered out (sorry Peter).

I was encouraged to attend several conferences out of state and spend tons of money on motivational tapes and books even though I was failing to pay my mortgage and credit card bills… when I tried to get better financial advice from my “upline” - they continued to encourage me to spend, spend, spend… “fake it ‘til I make it”... and all that kind of garbage. When I finally filed for my bankruptcy they were nowhere to be found to assist me with life after Amway.

The people at the top of the sponsorship tend to make a decent amount of income while those at the bottom levels of things really have to struggle to make ends meet. I suppose if you are really charismatic you might be able to sponsor a bunch of people and bring in a fair amount of money, but to really make it big, you need to have connections inside… since support is how you make things work when you can’t.

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 28 November 2010 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

I had a very nice couple with a very nice house try and get me to sign up… Mind, I was working as a clerk in an ice cream store at the time, barely above water. Having been informed about Amway, I was willing to listen to their spiel, including some of the ‘hard sell’, but really.. not impressed.

They do try to ‘muddy’ things, by no longer mentioning the MLM-aspects, instead presenting it more as individual opportunity and so forth. The name changes frequently, too - ‘Amway’ is death to sales, and they know it.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 03 December 2010 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16
e4m0n8 - 03 December 2010 06:54 AM

I used to be a member of Amway. I am sorry to say that I have lost a lot of money by investing in this company. Most of their products are good but the problem is that they are very costly. I am from India and nobody in India will be using toothpaste which costs $2. Same is the case with lotions, health drinks etc offered by them. Quality wise their products are good but cost wise only few people can afford to buy them

Funny. That’s the exact same thing you said last time.

m05he56 - 28 November 2010 12:31 PM

I used to be a member of Amway. I am sorry to say that I have lost a lot of money by investing in this company. Most of their products are good but the problem is that they are very costly. I am from India and nobody in India will be using toothpaste which costs $2. Same is the case with lotions, health drinks etc offered by them. Quality wise their products are good but cost wise only few people can afford to buy them.

Oh, wait. That’s not you!

Well, good-bye to both of you.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

1 of 2