1 of 1
Castro, The CIA and An LSD Laced Cigar
Posted: 18 August 2005 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

I saw a show several years back regarding the US Government and Fidel Castro.

The show claimed that at one point the CIA was able to have an LSD laced cigar delivered to Castro just prior to a televised press conference. The goal being to embarrass and discredit Castro in front of the Cuban people. Castro then smoked the cigar then proceeded to give the press conference.

The show then played the press conference which showed a delirious Castro, sweating profusely and trying vainly to get anything out other then…“uhhhh…ahem..nervous laugh…ahhh”.

The footage appeared to be quite legitimate not to mention hilarious however I have never seen nor heard of this footage again. Searches on the internet have turned up only rumours of this plot and nothing substantiating it.

Did this event occur? If it did, why is it so difficult to find any reference to it?

By the way, the show was on either A&E or History Channel and was an “Investigative Reports” type show….both channels being fairly reputable American channels.

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 18 August 2005 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08

I can find plenty of references to the supposed plot, but no mention of it actually being pulled off or of a show depicting it.  Apparently the idea did exist, but that’s all I can find.  Bill Moyers seems to have written about it, and he’s usually fairly reliable, if somewhat biased.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 20 August 2005 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2005-08-20

I’ve heard about the CIA coming to JFK with the idea of a cigar laced with cyanide, but he decided against it.

Too dastardly, I suppose.

I’ve read about and seen it on the History channel several times.

Posted: 24 August 2005 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

ok, well, i know i saw this footage and i know it was not a recreation.

so, either the footage was a hoax (it sure looked like Castro though) or someone has done a hell of a job sweeping this under the rug.

I dont understand how footage of Castro on a CIA funded acid trip can just dissappear…well, i can guess why but still, it seems to be too good of a story to just fade away.

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 24 August 2005 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I bet it could be recreated.  After all, Forrest Gump shook the President’s hand.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 August 2005 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

i agree that it could be Maegan, problem is that it was presented as actual footage and appeared to be genuine. Everything is right for the period, appearance of the footage, clothing etc….so if it is a recreation or a hoax, it is a damn fine one.

Still doesnt explain why such footage, recreation or not has virtually dissappeared.

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2005 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

I searched my ass off to find the video…..It seems to not exist….....
It apparently did happen but only stories were published.

Posted: 24 August 2005 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
Chuck - 24 August 2005 02:46 PM

i agree that it could be Maegan, problem is that it was presented as actual footage and appeared to be genuine. Everything is right for the period, appearance of the footage, clothing etc….so if it is a recreation or a hoax, it is a damn fine one.

Still doesnt explain why such footage, recreation or not has virtually dissappeared.

Maybe go to the website for the station…I know documentaries like that are often available on video/dvd.  If it’s NOT, contact someone and ask if they have the program info.  If they start to refuse to give you info…that’s when I’d think it was some huge coverup.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 August 2005 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

thanks for trying Stephen and yeah, i searched and searched as well.

in case i suddenly dissappear continue the struggle and dont forget about me, damn CIA seems to be rather proficient in making things dissappear….unless your name is Osama

Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2005 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05
Maegan - 24 August 2005 03:00 PM

Maybe go to the website for the station…I know documentaries like that are often available on video/dvd.  If it’s NOT, contact someone and ask if they have the program info.  If they start to refuse to give you info…that’s when I’d think it was some huge coverup.

thanks for the suggestion Maegan…it took some looking but I believe I have located the program..awaiting a reply from seller of DVD if this indeed is the program I saw many years ago.

hopefully i dont get a canned response but a legitimate answer to my question…if it is the program, I will buy it then extract the footage in question, compress it and attempt to host it somewhere on the web for all to see….of course this may backfire on me as it is a copyrighted program but o well, that is a risk i am willing to take smile

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2005 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-09-25

That footage sounds hilarious….! These are my top3 “rock stars on drugs” moments

1) Elvis in College Park 1974
http://www.elvisconcerts.com/reviews/rev740928.htm

2) James Brown interviewed on Sonya Live 1988 - see it!
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jamesbrown.html

3) John & Yoko on Mike Douglas Show 1972 - are they really weird or just stoned

BTW, I read about another (perhaps the same) cigar plot against Castro.
During “Operation Mongoos” in 1961, the CIA prepared some cigars of Fidel Castro’s favorite brand which had been saturated with botulism (botulinum toxin aka Botox(yes the very same!)), for the possibility of an assassination attempt. The cigars were never used, but when tested years later were still found to be effective. (read more…)
http://www.parascope.com/mx/articles/castroreport.htm

1 of 1