1 of 2
Apparently we aren
Posted: 02 January 2010 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

If you want to believe this guy we are all going to experience the rapture on 21 May, 2011.

Biblical scholar’s date for rapture: May 21, 2011

Justin Berton, Chronicle Staff Writer

“That date has not one stitch of biblical authority,” Camping says from the Oakland office where he runs Family Radio, an evangelical station that reaches listeners around the world. “It’s like a fairy tale.”

The real date for the end of times, he says, is in 2011.

The Mayans and the recent Hollywood movie “2012” have put the apocalypse in the popular mind this year, but Camping has been at this business for a long time. And while Armageddon is pop science or big-screen entertainment to many, Camping has followers from the Bay Area to China.

Camping, 88, has scrutinized the Bible for almost 70 years and says he has developed a mathematical system to interpret prophecies hidden within the Good Book. One night a few years ago, Camping, a civil engineer by trade, crunched the numbers and was stunned at what he’d found: The world will end May 21, 2011.

This is not the first time Camping has made a bold prediction about Judgment Day.

On Sept. 6, 1994, dozens of Camping’s believers gathered inside Alameda’s Veterans Memorial Building to await the return of Christ, an event Camping had promised for two years. Followers dressed children in their Sunday best and held Bibles open-faced toward heaven.

But the world did not end. Camping allowed that he may have made a mathematical error. He spent the next decade running new calculations, as well as overseeing a media company that has grown significantly in size and reach.

link here

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 02 January 2010 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Why are people always predicting the world will end in their lifetimes? Wouldn’t they be trying for it to end years and years in the future?

And I wonder if there are any YouTube videos of them hanging around waiting for the world to end?

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 02 January 2010 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

A better question is why do people think there’s always a mathematical coding in all documents or collection of religious materials….........or is it just the Bible and others too old be be much used anymore such as with the Mayan calendar and not the Torah or the Koran etc.???

Mathematically you can make pretty much anything ‘happen’ or appear to be ‘prophetic’ if you scoot numbers around to suit your need.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 02 January 2010 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

I call bull on this one.  According to Bill Hawkins the world ended several years ago, so how could it end again?

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 02 January 2010 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

This should probably go into Hoaxes.

A lot of folks want the world to end, so that they can prove that THEY WERE RIGHT, etc. It also gives them a sense of finality, and reassurance that the univere is being run by a higher power in a way they find acceptable.

I always find it amusing the folks who find ‘secret messages’ in the bible, a document that has been translated, retranslated, mistranslated, and edited over the years. Even those who are claiming to use ‘the original Hebrew’ are actually using translations of a MODERN bible into MODERN Hebrew.

I’d be willing to bet that a sufficiently determined/deluded mind could find similar messages in the works of Shakespear, the Illiad, and the Joy of Cooking.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 02 January 2010 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

This is not the first time Camping has made a bold prediction about Judgment Day.

On Sept. 6, 1994, dozens of Camping

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 02 January 2010 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Ironically, doomsday predictors are often *more* popular *after* their predictions fail! They can keep bumping the date up as many times as they like, and people will still flock to the sermons…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 02 January 2010 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Jesus said that only God knew the time the world would end.

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 02 January 2010 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2008-10-22
I am an ex associate - 03 January 2010 02:02 AM

Jesus said that only God knew the time the world would end.

This.

Signature 

“The closer you get to darkness, the darker your shadow becomes.”

In my opinion, the greatest pleasure in life is doing what someone else said you couldn’t do.

Posted: 03 January 2010 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2009-12-31

Every year people say “oh no the world will end,whatever will we do!”
the answer? stop predicting the end.
It wont happen…..and if it does ill let you all punch me in the face. (not that youd have the chance to fly to britan and find me whilst the world is ending)
Id honsetly be suprised if we have any major natural desaster.

cool hmm

Signature 

Cryptids On Land Are Easier To Hunt Than Those In Sea And Air.

Posted: 03 January 2010 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

As a Christian I say to you all that indeed the World is coming to an end.

i.e. in a few billion years when the Sun changes size and the Earth is ripped out of orbit by gravitational tidal forces. Before which of course the Earth’s surface would’ve been fried by the Sun.

Whether or not Humanity has left the Earth by then, or is even still around, is another matter.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 03 January 2010 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
Peter - 03 January 2010 06:33 AM

i.e. in a few billion years when the Sun changes size and the Earth is ripped out of orbit by gravitational tidal forces. Before which of course the Earth’s surface would’ve been fried by the Sun.

I remember when I learned about that in middle school. I was depressed for a week.

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

1 of 2