1 of 2
Photoshopped or just stupid?
Posted: 29 December 2009 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2005-09-23

http://thereifixedit.com/2009/12/28/warning-smart-car-does-not-improve-intelligence-level/

thereifixedit.com usually is about stupid ways people have repaired things (there is more duct tape on that site than on 3m!) However, I spotted this photo and was curious as to what others thought. I don’t really think that a mini could carry a full-sized fridge but stupider things have happened.

Even if it is manipulated in a computer program, it’s still pretty funny. I mean, the fridge still has the magnets on it!

Image Attachments
129058269966385911.jpg

Posted: 29 December 2009 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

The tie down strap looks a little like it disappears in some places, but it could just be turned enough to appear as if it’s gone. 

I am thinking…it’s fake, but the mini *was* carrying something…as the padding on the roof and the straps appear legitimate in most places…but theres no way the fridge would be able to stand up like that while they were driving…not even with a really good strap in place.  The resistance would force it over.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 29 December 2009 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16

It’s got no stabilization side-to-side so turning corner would be nigh impossible (assuming it wouldn’t fall forward or backward, as Maegan pointed out).  Also, as heavy as a fridge is, the suspension shows no sign of sagging. With all that weight over the back of the car it should be sagging while the front is lifted slightly.

If it’s not photoshopped my guess would be it’s a hollow shell/frame of a fridge put up there for photo purposes. Nice and light. Notice that the fridge is conveniently placed with the door to the side (also not strapped closed) and no shot from the other side is offered either in the picture or as an alternate view.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 29 December 2009 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

I can see that being real.  There are a lot of stupid people in the world who would think nothing of trying something like this.  The Smart cars have pretty heavy duty suspension and seeing as how they are only about 7 - 8 ft long I suspect anything put on top of the car like that wouldn’t affect the suspension as much as it would in a normal car.

If it’s an apartment sized fridge then it would be a bit smaller and lighter than normal anyway.  I agree that if they turned a corner at any more than crawl speed that thing would tip over and leave a nasty dent in the side of the car as well as the pavement.

With the tiedown strap the places it disappears is where it is twisted.  They just didn’t string it out nice and flat.

All in all I think it could be real or a good photoshop.  It looks real to me.  Just not something that I can see anyone with a lick of common sense doing.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 29 December 2009 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Gray…I see two spots where it disappears, one place appears where it’s twisted…near the hood of the car.  The other time, it sort of lines up with the top of that side window on the minivan…and right there, it sort of changes direction…like the support is at an angle…but nothing is there to change it’s direction.  I have a feeling, that is where the original stops, and the reconstruction began.

Image Attachments
minifridge.jpg
 Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 29 December 2009 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

It could also be an advertisement.  Some appliance store puts a refrigerator on top of a car in their front lot to attract attention, without ever planning on actually driving it anywhere.

And as Gray said, just because something is idiotic and obviously stupid doesn’t mean that somebody somewhere won’t think that it is a great idea and try it.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 30 December 2009 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

I vote it’s Photoshopped. The angle of the fridge doesn’t seem right to me.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 30 December 2009 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2005-09-23
Accipiter - 30 December 2009 03:04 AM

And as Gray said, just because something is idiotic and obviously stupid doesn’t mean that somebody somewhere won’t think that it is a great idea and try it.

And they are featured regularly on thereIfixedit.com where you can see the whole gamut from a flashlight mounted on a car hood to replace a headlight to children’s swingset made from scaffolding, duct tape and sheets of tin.

Posted: 31 December 2009 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Even if they WERE stupid, if the individual(s) intended to drive, hey would have placed it sideways, not upright and they certainly would have put more than just one strapping to tie it down. 

I go with this being so placed as a joke OR photoshopped after the fact.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 31 December 2009 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14
hulitoons - 31 December 2009 11:49 AM

Even if they WERE stupid, if the individual(s) intended to drive, hey would have placed it sideways, not upright and they certainly would have put more than just one strapping to tie it down. 

I go with this being so placed as a joke OR photoshopped after the fact.

Never underestimate the human capacity for stupidity.  People are stupid enough to joyride on the top of moving cars.  This is rather tame by comparison.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 31 December 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2009-12-31

It looks photoshopped but doing something like that in real life is quite possible.

Kind Regards
King Fluffs

Signature 

Cryptids On Land Are Easier To Hunt Than Those In Sea And Air.

Posted: 31 December 2009 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

I’ve transported a sofa tied to the trunk of my car, so who knows.  Laying a refrigerator down does bad things to the coolant inside and you have to let it set up right for a good while afterward before plugging it in, so I have been told.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

1 of 2