1 of 1
Bromine suppresses sex drive
Posted: 22 December 2009 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-12-22

Hello.

I was looking for this more or less famous piece of information and stumbled across your board, so I registered to post the question here.

It is often claimed that bromine (a chemical element found in the group of the halogens, Br) has been given to soldiers in order to suppress their sex drive. For example in WWII or in the DDR etc.

This page, however, says that bromine has actually been used as a sedative in the 19th century but that it’s usage as an antiaphrodisiac is just a hoax.

I found no scientific sources for either option, maybe one of you guys knows more about it.

Posted: 22 December 2009 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Yeah, basically it works as an antiaphrodisiac in the same way that chloroform is.  Get enough in you, and you don’t want to do anything other than lie there quietly and nap.

Black powder (old-style gunpowder) used to have a similar reputation, and was said to be regularly added to soldiers’ food to keep them from getting too frisky.  Again, there wasn’t really any truth to its alleged effects.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 December 2009 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Lots of things have that effect, like bullets, or car windshields, or falling heavy things, etc, if taken externally or internally.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 22 December 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-12-22

Sounds like the quote from the before mentioned site:

“I don’t think that bromide had any lasting effect, the only way to stop a British soldier feeling randy is to load bromide into a 300lb shell and fire it at him from the waist down.”

ha ha.

Okay, that bromine (if it has a sedative effect) will suppress sex drive in sufficient doses sounds reasonable, but it’s no antiaphrodisiac as such (just as benzodiazepines are no real antiaphrodisiacs, but sedatives). The thing with bromine being given to soldiers must be a Hoax, then (since strongly sedated soldiers would be of little use).

BTW: Are there any scientific sources for the sedative effect of bromine around?

Also, thanks for the answers.

Posted: 22 December 2009 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6941
Joined  2005-10-21

This makes me very glad that brominated vegetable oil is no longer in Mountain Dew as much as it used to be..

Odd thing: Mountain Dew now gets flavor from Orange Juice.. it actually has *real* citrus in it!

As for gunpowder, that’s an extension of using Saltpeter as an antiaphrodesiac.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsibility to disprove your claims, but rather your responsibility to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 01 January 2010 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2009-12-31

Does it? Does it really supress the sex drive?  I might ask Bear Grylls if its true.
I have his email adress grin

Kind Regards
King Fluffs

Signature 

Cryptids On Land Are Easier To Hunt Than Those In Sea And Air.

1 of 1