1 of 8
Snow?  are you kidding me!?
Posted: 18 December 2009 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Usually our region does not have snow to speak of until well after Christmas and generally not until February.  Even then it doesn’t typically stick around.  Sometimes we see a few flakes and even a dusting to maybe an inch or two….........

Just as Ahdora is to enter our area I am surprised what our forecast says might happen and I have to really emphasize the ‘might’ because I won’t believe it unless I see it…...........even aside from stating to Dave a week or so ago that this fall I brought a wooley worm in for Erik to see that had no brown band at all which it’s said means that copious snow is coming this winter.

Tonight precipitation is to begin in the form of snow up the east coast and not truly end until Monday and is calculated to be from 10-20 inches.  IF that happens, parts of this region will be paralysed when heavy winds then accompany this (because this is consider ‘semi-tropical’ even though we do have strongish winters - we are nevertheless overwhelmed when there are serious dumps).  Adhora may be snowbound and we will not even have a chance to meet her and her’s. 

I, myself think that there will be snow, but not more than maybe the usual 4 inches. 

I’m hoping Acci will also keep us alerted since his area below us further south feels some of this as it scurries up the coast.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 18 December 2009 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

We had a sprinkle of it here in the valley a week ago.. quite unsettling, as we *never* get snow..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 18 December 2009 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15029
Joined  2006-08-16

We had two weeks of sub-freezing temperatures here. To end that off, as it started to creep back up to just freezing, we had winter storm advisories at the beginning of this week. Monday and Tuesday they were calling for winter weather condiditons and two different periods of 4-7 inches of snow. Not huge amounts, but enough to cause difficulties when coming in a short period of time.

Over those two days, from two different bouts of snow, we got about two inches total. And it was the nice light fluffy kind, too, since it wasn’t warm enough for it to melt and get slushy and heavy.

Wednesday it was still just below freezing temperatures and raining. It was a semi-freezing rain, though it never got to be an ice storm.  (Ice coating everyting, snapping branches and power lines and causing accidents on every road.)

Yesterday was bright and clear and around 40F (4C) and felt balmy after the two weeks of sub-freezing. Today it’s just a tad colder than yesterday, but raining.

I’m not really sure what I was trying to say exactly in this post. I kind of just started to ramble about the weather.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 18 December 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
hulitoons - 18 December 2009 06:01 PM

I’m hoping Acci will also keep us alerted since his area below us further south feels some of this as it scurries up the coast.

As of about an hour ago, we’re currently getting celestial dandruff from the heavens.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 18 December 2009 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

OMG Acci…...................................!

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 18 December 2009 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
hulitoons - 18 December 2009 08:29 PM

OMG Acci…...................................!

There’s a lot more out there right now.  It’s coming down fast.  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 18 December 2009 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

And it’s getting dark here really fast…........can I be sick now?

Signature 

Posted: 18 December 2009 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
hulitoons - 18 December 2009 09:01 PM

And it’s getting dark here really fast…........can I be sick now?

Nope.  You can put on your snowsuit and get ready for snowball fights!  Hey, at least you’re a small target. . .

Some of the local residents here are enjoying the snow, too!

Signature 

Posted: 18 December 2009 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

So far it’s been pretty much a nightmare and no precipitation has even gotten here yet. 

I got to speak with Ahdora before our ‘adventure’ began though.  She’s in Columbia and is planning on goint to D.C. tomorrow.  I’m hoping she does get there and that, maybe there’ll be a way for us to meet her if the forecast is off or wrong.  If we can’t we’re going to try doing a video chat and see if we can actually record it. 

My call was short because Erik still had his coat on and we wanted to get to the store just in case.  HA!

Just before Erik had gotten home and Adhora called:

I got an automated call from Harford County Emergency about the storm coming giving more information and advising to stay inside, don’t park cars on side roads etc.  The female voice advised that this was ‘While this is the projected forecast but…” and then she added ‘but it will PROBABLY and we stress PROBABLY, be as predicted’.

When Erik got home before 5:00, we went to BJs to get groceries just in case.  It turned into a nightmare.  The parking lot was full, the store crowded, (no toilet paper in the bathrooms HAHAHAHA!) and when we went out to pack the car, we couldn’t even get out of our parking spot…...........so we finally went back into the store to see if things would clear up in a while.  We stayed in there another 30 minutes and still people couldn’t get out of the parking lot.  After about 10 minutes we made it to the road only to see we were not going to move down it either except in inches.

I needed to get to the drug store so that took another half hour just to get there.  Since Dunkin Donuts was across the street but we couldn’t cross the road (too many cars) so we went around a block or two and we able to get to it and bought 6 donuts (just in case).

It took about 2 hours or more for us to do errands at store only 2 miles away to pick up about 6 items.

We’re back and I fixed cheeseburgers.  It’s now 8:15.

No precipitation yet, just utter chaos.

Signature 

Posted: 18 December 2009 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15029
Joined  2006-08-16

LOL I love how you bought donuts “just in case”. LOL

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 18 December 2009 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, we got snow.  And more snow.  And more snow.

Currently, all roads are unpassable, with about three solid inches of ice covered in another four of snow.  Back roads, side roads, highways, Main Street in the middle of town. . .all of them are the same.  Even the Interstate is apparently not usable, despite the Department of Transportation having given up on all other roads and concentrating everything on it.  Average traffic speed is about three hours per mile (that’s not an exaggeration, either), and that’s for the few vehicles that haven’t crashed or just gotten stuck on ice or on the sides of the roads.  Many motorists have had to hike to the nearest shelter.  Currently there are eight refugees staying here in this house; the latest one just came ringing the doorbell about an hour ago.  Most phone lines seem to be out of commission, though these ones are still working (although the circuits were all jammed much of the day).  It is all rather interesting.

Hopefully it will be a little less exciting where you are, Hulitoons.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2009 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
Tah - 19 December 2009 01:39 AM

LOL I love how you bought donuts “just in case”. LOL

Me too. LOL

Around here we have been playing “revolving door” with the jet stream. Every time it goes across us, either North OR South, we get dumped on by snow. (Though it is worse when it is south of us, as that brings the arctic temps down here. -50F wind chill anyone?) big surprise

Stay warm, Huli.  If you get trapped, give Fuzzybutt Acci’s address, tie a note to his(her?) leg, and send him for help! cheese

Of course, Fuzzybutt might head south and just decide to keep going…... raspberry

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

1 of 8