Beware of fake witches!
Posted: 13 December 2009 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/11/2768496.htm?site=news

‘Fake witch’ to face court on Christmas Eve

A Canadian woman is to appear in court on Christmas Eve for posing as a witch in order to defraud a grieving Toronto lawyer, in a case that invokes a century-old law, police said.

Vishwantee Persaud was charged under a rarely used section of Canada’s criminal code for allegedly pretending to practice witchcraft to convince a man that she was the embodied spirit of his deceased sister.

She did so, police say, in order to defraud him of tens of thousands of dollars.

“Witchcraft is how she got her hooks into him to commit a larger series of frauds against him,” said Detective Constable Corey Jones, who investigated the case.

“She claimed to have come from a long line of witches and could read tarot cards, then told him his deceased sister’s spirit had returned and inhabited a feminine form close to him - intimating it was her - and that she was going to guide him to financial prosperity and business success.”

This allowed her to befriend the victim and become involved in his business dealings, setting the stage for the fraud that was to follow, including fictitious expenses for law school tuition and cancer treatments.

The ruse fell apart after the last in a year-long series of business schemes failed in September.

“Like coming out of a hangover, the victim finally realised something was wrong and contacted police,” Detective Jones said.

The bogus witching law was enacted in 1892 when witchcraft was no longer a punishable offence in Canada, but fears persisted that it could be used as a cover for fraud.

It makes it illegal for anyone to fraudulently pretend to exercise witchcraft or sorcery or enchantment.

Detective Jones conceded the law is “obscure… but it’s still on the books” and it captures what he believes transpired, “preying on a man’s sensitivities” to commit an “absurd” fraud.

“The law is not directed at witches, but rather at using the pretence of witchcraft to separate someone from their money,” he said.

If convicted, Persaud faces up to six months in jail and a possible fine of 2,000 Canadian dollars ($2,075) for sham witchcraft. She also faces two fraud charges, which carry much heftier penalties.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 December 2009 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-04-26

Sounds like just fraud, regardless of how she conned him.  Dunno why they’d bother looking around for some kind of law like that to take care of it.

Posted: 13 December 2009 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

I think it’s more that they did a search on the possible laws and statutes, and that one popped up.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 13 December 2009 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

That’s what I think too, Robin.  I figure they just looked for anything and everything they could throw at her in case one or more f the charges didn’t stick. (It is also used to encourage the plaintiff to enter into a plea deal. One charge of fraud is a whole lot better than two or three….)

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 01 January 2010 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2009-12-31

Lol a witch…...woah they might arrest me for practacing magic.
LOL

Kind Regards
King Fluffs

Signature 

Cryptids On Land Are Easier To Hunt Than Those In Sea And Air.

Posted: 21 September 2010 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

After re-reading the OP it sounds like she’s being charged for “pretending to practice witchcraft”.

So she’d have been fine ( from a legal standpoint at least) if she was actually practicing witchcraft & not merely pretending to practice it???

And if she is found guilty, does that mean the churches will have to stop taking collections until they can provide proof that their claims ( eternal life in heaven) are true?

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

1 of 1