1 of 1
Paranormal Activity
Posted: 24 October 2009 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15029
Joined  2006-08-16

For those not familiar with this movie.

It was made for about $20,000.  It’s been “out there” for about two years waiting release. It was screened at a film festival or two.  It was shown at a con (scifi/fantasy convention) or two.  But up until very recently there was no release date and only those few lucky people who caught its few screenings had seen it.

Steven Spielberg is a fan and is said to have suggested the ending the film now has.

It was released a few weeks ago in the U.S. to very limited markets.  Something like 50 cities.  They were mainly university areas where the population of the young demographic of the movie was dense.

It was one of the first movies that you could “demand it” to have it come to your city.  They had a website where you could click to “demand it”.  If one million people demanded it they would release it nationwide.

Last week the movie opened nationwide.  (There were two theaters in Spokane showing it, but not our local theater.)  This week it is local here.

It has set all sorts of box office marks for making money on such a limited release.  Basically, the initial release sold out every show on every screen it was shown on.  (Those first 50 theaters.)  The next week it did about the same in a wider release.

As of this writing the movie has made $40 million at the box office.  (Go back up to the first point - the film was made for $20,000 - and be amazed.)

So I went and saw it tonight.

It is really good.  It is a well told story.  It’s very much a Blair Witch type thing where the creepiest/scariest things are usually what you don’t see.

The acting is pretty darn good for two wanna be actors who could barely get acting jobs before they made this movie.  The special effects (what was there) were good and well done.  Simple but effective things.

If you get a chance see it.  If you can go see it in a theater with a bunch of people, do it.  About 90% of the audience with us were between the ages of 17-23 or so.  The jumps, screams and nervous laughter (from the audience) really added to the experience.  (The rude comments and talking through most of the slowish beginning did not add to the experience.)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 24 October 2009 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

I’m happy to see your review. It makes me maybe want to see it more

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 12 November 2009 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Ok so I voted and helped to get it all over the state of KY. MY hubby and kids saw it WITHOUT ME and then proceded to go on and on about how bad it sucked and even facebooked it. I now know how it ends which ruins this movie for me.

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 31 December 2009 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2009-12-31

I heard about that film,i usually dont watch them sort of films.
I remember waking up one night turning the tv on and seeing the girl on the exorcist spin her head round.Boom tv went off i went to the nearest corner and sat there .Lol

Kind Regards
King Fluffs

Signature 

Cryptids On Land Are Easier To Hunt Than Those In Sea And Air.

Posted: 31 December 2009 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
I am an ex associate - 13 November 2009 01:00 AM

Ok so I voted and helped to get it all over the state of KY. MY hubby and kids saw it WITHOUT ME and then proceded to go on and on about how bad it sucked and even facebooked it. I now know how it ends which ruins this movie for me.

Well they certainly do advertise it out the wazoo here in Louisville, so I guess I should see it so your efforts aren’t in vain…..  I had no idea it was in limited markets.  It’s been heavily marketed and apparently doing quite well here.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

1 of 1