Copper bracelets not worth a copper?
Posted: 16 October 2009 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8310792.stm

Bracelets ‘useless’ in arthritis

Copper bracelets and magnetic wrist straps are useless for relieving pain in people with arthritis, say University of York researchers.

In the first tightly controlled trial to look at both alternative therapies, there was no benefit to their use for pain or stiffness.

All 45 patients tested a copper bracelet, two different magnetic wrist straps, and a demagnetised version.

An arthritis charity said people should not waste their money on the therapies.

Study leader Stewart Richmond, a research fellow in the Department of Health Sciences, said there had only been one other randomised controlled trial - comparing the treatment with placebo - on copper bracelets and that was done in the 1970s.

The market - particularly in magnetic devices which can cost

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 October 2009 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Yeah, the only thing that happens when I wear a copper bracelet is I get a lovely greenish-black ring around my wrist.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 17 October 2009 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

*makes plans on how to brand Smerk with copper*

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 October 2009 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Yeah, this isn’t exactly a shock. Standard placebo effect.
(I’m talking about the article, not your flirting.)

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 20 October 2009 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

So that’s where the wire for my house went.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 21 October 2009 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
Accipiter - 17 October 2009 04:18 AM

*makes plans on how to brand Smerk with copper*

That way you can figure out which one is yours if she ever gets lost in a Smerk herd. wink

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 21 October 2009 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I never understood the concept behind either the magnetic strips and mattresses or copper either (pretty but tarnishes more rapidly than other metals).

But the idea that really baffles me is the one where you press a food pad thing to your feet at night and when you pull it off in the morning it’s all full of dark stuff that supposedly has been pulled out of your bloodstream through your feet and finally trapped on the foot pad which can now be conveniently tossed into the waste basket!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 21 October 2009 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

I always wondered how many of the people with those magnetic bracelets or magnetic pads or magnetic whatevers go around unwittingly frying various computers and other devices?

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2009 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
hulitoons - 21 October 2009 10:42 AM

I never understood the concept behind either the magnetic strips and mattresses or copper either (pretty but tarnishes more rapidly than other metals).

But the idea that really baffles me is the one where you press a food pad thing to your feet at night and when you pull it off in the morning it’s all full of dark stuff that supposedly has been pulled out of your bloodstream through your feet and finally trapped on the foot pad which can now be conveniently tossed into the waste basket!

Ooooh! kenoki foot Pads!!! surprised  yeah, those are pretty, um, special all right.  (There was a GREAT Skeptoid podcast that had those in it….) Apparently the major ingredient in the foot pads is wood vinegar, that when dried out, is a colorless powder.  When it gets wet, it returns to its normal DARK BROWN color.  Pretty nifty scam. wink

And I have actually thought of trying a copper bracelet.  (Heck, i would give almost anything a try on some mornings.) shut eye
it looks like they are just another scam….... downer

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 19 March 2012 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Spam for copper bracelets. Well done spammer, posting in an article that proves your bracelets dont work.

Posted: 19 March 2012 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Mr R, next time instead of responding to said spammer, it’d be appreciated if you just clicked on the “Report” link at the top of his comment. That way, a moderator can come along and clean it up as soon as they can. smile

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 19 March 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2897
Joined  2005-06-15
daveprime - 21 October 2009 11:05 AM

(Heck, i would give almost anything a try on some mornings.) shut eye

Careful. I have a demented sense of humour.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

1 of 2