2 of 3
The Earth Isn’t Round!
Posted: 15 October 2009 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
Accipiter - 15 October 2009 02:03 AM

Hmmm.  If it were made out of lots of little gold atoms suspended in space, would you then have an “ether or” situation?

shut eye

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 15 October 2009 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2892
Joined  2005-06-15
Unfairly Balanced - 15 October 2009 09:18 AM

Of course the earth is flat. Or these wouldn

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 15 October 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2008-12-11

If people believe this they need to go back to elementry…..

Signature 

Dragons are good.
Shiny things are good.
Shiny Dragons.
GENIUS

Posted: 15 October 2009 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Obsidian - 15 October 2009 02:45 PM

In Australia we call that Primary School.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 16 October 2009 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
Obsidian - 15 October 2009 02:45 PM

Indeed. I really don’t get the weird hoop-jumping they go through to explain how a person can go all the way in one direction and end up back where they started. They might as well just say “there’re warp zones at the ends of the plate that send you back to the beginning”. Then we’d have an excuse to worship Mario. cheese

And is it just me, or are their explanations remeniscent of how Kent Hovind would try to explain how the Earth’s only a few thousand years old while taking into account fossil records?

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 16 October 2009 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Out of curiosity how do they explain this?

I once found out, probably from a TV show or a web site, that the Ancients (as in around the time of the Ancient Greeks etc) already knew the Earth was round even though “scholars” were saying the Earth was flat. The simple proof being from what sea goers saw as they approached distant land especially when that land had a very high hill or mountain in clear view as they approached it.

i.e. the top of the hill or mountain would appear first on the horizon with rest of it being revealed as they got closer. This being proof to the ancient mariners that the Earth had a curve and was not flat.

If I find a link to that I’ll post it. But it seems like such an obvious thing that would still be observed today.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 16 October 2009 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Peter - 17 October 2009 03:31 AM

Out of curiosity how do they explain this?

I once found out, probably from a TV show or a web site, that the Ancients (as in around the time of the Ancient Greeks etc) already knew the Earth was round even though “scholars” were saying the Earth was flat. The simple proof being from what sea goers saw as they approached distant land especially when that land had a very high hill or mountain in clear view as they approached it.

i.e. the top of the hill or mountain would appear first on the horizon with rest of it being revealed as they got closer. This being proof to the ancient mariners that the Earth had a curve and was not flat.

If I find a link to that I’ll post it. But it seems like such an obvious thing that would still be observed today.

Basically, they say that the Earth isn’t flat as in an actual two-dimensional plane, but that it is flat like a sheet that is sort of wavy and bulged.  And that all the seas are on the outside of the bulges, so that they’re curved.  And that gravity does weird things.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 October 2009 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Accipiter - 17 October 2009 03:40 AM

Basically, they say that the Earth isn’t flat as in an actual two-dimensional plane, but that it is flat like a sheet that is sort of wavy and bulged.  And that all the seas are on the outside of the bulges, so that they’re curved.  And that gravity does weird things.

If they’re allowing for a curve and also saying “that gravity does weird things” how do they stop people extrapolating that to a round Earth?

Hey, this seems like a cool discussion.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 17 October 2009 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Peter - 17 October 2009 04:09 AM

If they’re allowing for a curve and also saying “that gravity does weird things” how do they stop people extrapolating that to a round Earth?

You’re using logic and following things through to their reasonable comclusion.  That’s not allowed.

You’d have to track down a geniune Flat-Earther and ask him or her or it, though, to really find out.  Not just one of the people pretending to be one.  There are probably books out there about it.

Of corse, your idea simply leads to the “hollow Earth” theory, which is a whole additional kettle of ichthyoids.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 October 2009 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Accipiter - 17 October 2009 04:21 AM
Peter - 17 October 2009 04:09 AM

You’re using logic and following things through to their reasonable comclusion.  That’s not allowed.

You’d have to track down a geniune Flat-Earther and ask him or her or it, though, to really find out.  Not just one of the people pretending to be one.  There are probably books out there about it.

Of corse, your idea simply leads to the “hollow Earth” theory, which is a whole additional kettle of ichthyoids.

Well we could accept the notion that life was created so that the Universe could experience itself. Of course this would not be exclusive on any religious input into that idea.

Then we could extrapolate that to the Earth itself being a channeling device for sentient life on Earth. The Earth would be a reflection of the level of Higher Consciousness that dwells on it’s surface.

So yes, the Earth could be hollow.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 17 October 2009 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Well, a flat Earth would still have mass and therefore gravity.  Of course, there would be gravity on the other side which is probably where the “hollow Earth” people and dinosaurs and such live.  Only they’re not really hollow Earth dwellers, they are other side Earth dwellers. 

Or the Earth can still be flat, but just in a spherical sort of way.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

2 of 3