1 of 1
2012 isn’t the end of the world, Mayans insist
Posted: 13 October 2009 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5155
Joined  2005-01-27

Apolinario Chile Pixtun is tired of being bombarded with frantic questions about the Mayan calendar supposedly “running out” on Dec. 21, 2012. After all, it’s not the end of the world.

Or is it?

Definitely not, the Mayan Indian elder insists. “I came back from England last year and, man, they had me fed up with this stuff.”

It can only get worse for him. Next month Hollywood’s “2012” opens in cinemas, featuring earthquakes, meteor showers and a tsunami dumping an aircraft carrier on the White House.

At Cornell University, Ann Martin, who runs the “Curious? Ask an Astronomer” Web site, says people are scared.

“It’s too bad that we’re getting e-mails from fourth-graders who are saying that they’re too young to die,” Martin said. “We had a mother of two young children who was afraid she wouldn’t live to see them grow up.”

Chile Pixtun, a Guatemalan, says the doomsday theories spring from Western, not Mayan ideas.

A significant time period for the Mayas does end on the date, and enthusiasts have found a series of astronomical alignments they say coincide in 2012, including one that happens roughly only once every 25,800 years.

But most archaeologists, astronomers and Maya say the only thing likely to hit Earth is a meteor shower of New Age philosophy, pop astronomy, Internet doomsday rumors and TV specials such as one on the History Channel which mixes “predictions” from Nostradamus and the Mayas and asks: “Is 2012 the year the cosmic clock finally winds down to zero days, zero hope?”

It may sound all too much like other doomsday scenarios of recent decades

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 13 October 2009 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

“The entire mantle of the earth would shift in a matter of days, perhaps hours, changing the position of the north and south poles, causing worldwide disaster,” a narrator proclaims. “Earthquakes would rock every continent, massive tsunamis would inundate coastal cities. It would be the ultimate planetary catastrophe.”

The idea apparently originates with a 19th century Frenchman, Charles Etienne Brasseur de Bourbourg, a priest-turned-archaeologist who got it from his study of ancient Mayan and Aztec texts.

Scientists say that, at best, the poles might change location by one degree over a million years, with no sign that it would start in 2012.

While long discredited, Brasseur de Bourbourg proves one thing: Westerners have been trying for more than a century to pin doomsday scenarios on the Maya. And while fascinated by ancient lore, advocates seldom examine more recent experiences with apocalypse predictions.

“No one who’s writing in now seems to remember that the last time we thought the world was going to end, it didn’t,” says Martin, the astronomy webmaster. “There doesn’t seem to be a lot of memory that things were fine the last time around.”

Source: Yahoo News

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 13 October 2009 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I didn’t read the entire article…it was far too long.  But I remember learning something or other in school that it’s not that the world ENDS, it’s just when the CALENDAR ended.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 13 October 2009 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6941
Joined  2005-10-21
Maegan - 13 October 2009 10:09 AM

I didn’t read the entire article…it was far too long.  But I remember learning something or other in school that it’s not that the world ENDS, it’s just when the CALENDAR ended.

Yep. It’s roughly analogous to people running around screaming because December marks the end of the year. The Mayans just took a very, very long view on things.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsibility to disprove your claims, but rather your responsibility to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 13 October 2009 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

But a lot of dumbos think a calendar is something like a flat earth and you

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 13 October 2009 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

The Mayans couldn’t even predict the end of their own civilization, so any of their ideas about the end of entire planet should be suspect. Actually to be fair, I don’t think the Mayans believed this. They just didn’t think they needed a calendar to go any further. Kinda like the modern Y2K scenario. Unfortunately, there is a new movie out soon about this very topic so all those doomsday believers who are incapable of separating fact from fiction will be use it gain attention to their delusions.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 13 October 2009 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15034
Joined  2006-08-16
Captain Al - 13 October 2009 01:56 PM

Actually to be fair, I don’t think the Mayans believed this. They just didn’t think they needed a calendar to go any further.

Not quite.

Spooky, perhaps, but Bernal notes there are other inscriptions at Mayan sites for dates far beyond 2012

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 October 2009 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Like the Mayans would even know that.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 13 October 2009 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I pretty much gave up all hope of there being any slight grasp of reality in that 2012 movie after the first ten seconds of first seeing the trailer for it.  Any movie where the Mayans are introduced as “the most ancient civilisation” isn’t off to a good start, historically speaking.  They’re not even the earliest civilisation in the area where they were.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 October 2009 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-03-13

What has become of the History channel, anyway?  Its mostly crap.  Blatant false advertising.  The same goes for TLC (there is nothing to learn from it) and Bravo.  Remember when Bravo was an arts channel?  Discovery is headed that way too.  “Reality” TV and sensationalism.  angry I want actual science and nature programming!!!  Sorry, I am off topic…........

Mythbusters is not included in my rant either.

Posted: 16 October 2009 02:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
N. - 16 October 2009 02:49 AM

What has become of the History channel, anyway?  Its mostly crap.  Blatant false advertising.  The same goes for TLC (there is nothing to learn from it) and Bravo.  Remember when Bravo was an arts channel?  Discovery is headed that way too.  “Reality” TV and sensationalism.  angry I want actual science and nature programming!!!  Sorry, I am off topic…........

Mythbusters is not included in my rant either.

Hear hear

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 16 October 2009 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10732
Joined  2008-02-21

DarnIt!!!

If the world as we know it doesn’t end soon, what the heck am i going to do with the 200+ pounds of beans I have stashed away in my basement? mad

*....Begins to bio-engineer the new Preppy Plague.* cool grin

*...Be aware the plague will cause people to buy cheesy electronic aides and funny looking t-shirts…* gulp

Hrrrrmph! downer

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

1 of 1