Great response to Kirk Cameron
Posted: 10 October 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

A blond worth listening to

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 October 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2006-01-01
Unfairly Balanced - 10 October 2009 06:01 PM

A blond worth listening to

Indeed, also pleasant to watch at. But skip that: are they REALLY like Kirk Cameron in the US?!

Posted: 10 October 2009 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

No not everyone. Some of us who have faith in the Bible can actually do our own research and speaking. I hope that if someone just gives me a chance I can explain why I believe what I do without me using someone as a crutch as Kirk Camron does

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 10 October 2009 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Kirk Cameron is like Kirk Cameron.
People have varying degrees of belief (as in any other country) and even those who technically share his religion seem to mostly disagree with him.
I really dislike the “all of the people in [whatever] country” questions - I have disagreements with my co-workers all the time about politics, racism, and so forth.
I find it incredibly simplistic to assume that a whole country has some sort of group think.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 10 October 2009 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Does this guy know the meaning of the word “Propaganda”?  He is either outright lying or is just completely and totally isolated from the real world and knowledge of basic U.S. rights and laws. Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 11 October 2009 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
Boo - 11 October 2009 12:21 AM

Kirk Cameron is like Kirk Cameron.
People have varying degrees of belief (as in any other country) and even those who technically share his religion seem to mostly disagree with him.
I really dislike the “all of the people in [whatever] country” questions - I have disagreements with my co-workers all the time about politics, racism, and so forth.
I find it incredibly simplistic to assume that a whole country has some sort of group think.

Exactly. Every group has a handful of idiots and extremists, but unfortunately those are the most vocal and the ones people find most interesting.

I’m reminded of something a guy wrote on his blog, in which he dissected Jack Chick Tracts, specifically one which insisted that evolution and God could not both exist. The guy pointed out that it was possible for both to be true and that he knew religious people who liked evolution for that reason - they saw it as an incredibly clever system for God to create.

And yeah, I agree with the girl. I’ve NEVER, in any of my public school-going years, seen students forbidden from bringing to school or opening in school any sort of religious work. In fact in high school we had classes devoted to studying pieces of religious work. We read about them for homework. We talked about religion in class discussions. Heck, the school had clubs for different religious groups. They just didn’t bring it up in classes like Biology or Physics and didn’t do prayer in homeroom.

And I liked how she pointed out that schools also don’t hand out Korans and no one complains about that. People who complain about no prayers in school and that stuff seem to forget that there are kids in school who are members of religions other than Christianity. I knew kids in high school who were Jewish, Muslim, and Morman. My best friend was Pagan. And kids who aren’t don’t have any religious affiliations (atheist, agnostic, just don’t have any thoughts on the matter).

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 11 October 2009 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Yeah, a lot of activists are very much in favour of freedom of personal choice. . .so long as everybody chooses to act and believe exactly as that activist says they should.  Try to practice your freedom to believe in something else, and the activist suddenly cries about how it’s immoral or illegal or whatever.

I wonder what the people who complain that religion ought to be taught in science classes would think about having their church services interrupted to present lessons on modern evolutionary theory?  Pretty much every single argument that they make in favour of the one idea is also just as valid for the other.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 October 2009 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-01
Accipiter - 12 October 2009 03:35 AM

I wonder what the people who complain that religion ought to be taught in science classes would think about having their church services interrupted to present lessons on modern evolutionary theory?  Pretty much every single argument that they make in favour of the one idea is also just as valid for the other.

Or what would they say if science classes taught every religion creation story as possible truth?

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 12 October 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14
ZeldaQueen - 12 October 2009 03:03 PM

Or what would they say if science classes taught every religion creation story as possible truth?

That might solve a lot of problems.  The kids would get so confused they would be tempted to give up on organized religion altogether.  Who could possibly keep up with all that crap?

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 12 October 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
gray - 12 October 2009 03:43 PM

That might solve a lot of problems.  The kids would get so confused they would be tempted to give up on organized religion altogether.  Who could possibly keep up with all that crap?

How about teaching kids that they will know the truth of physics or chemistry by a “burning in their bosom”? hmmm  cheese
Since we here in the U.S. seem to be teaching that ‘everyone is a winner’ and there is no ‘wrong’ answer anyway…... shut eye

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 12 October 2009 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-01
DavePrime - 12 October 2009 06:01 PM
gray - 12 October 2009 03:43 PM

How about teaching kids that they will know the truth of physics or chemistry by a “burning in their bosom”? hmmm  cheese
Since we here in the U.S. seem to be teaching that ‘everyone is a winner’ and there is no ‘wrong’ answer anyway…... shut eye

I call shenanigans on the “no wrong answer” thing. If that’s the case, care to explain my last test grade? hmmm

Signature 

~Dave Barry

Posted: 12 October 2009 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
ZeldaQueen - 12 October 2009 06:15 PM

I call shenanigans on the “no wrong answer” thing. If that’s the case, care to explain my last test grade? hmmm

Bad juju? cheese

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

1 of 2